Replacement checks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Daft question, proably - but it's been sooo long since I used a checkbook.

I had some plumbing work done, and it was fine, but the plumbers got back to me yesterday saying the check accidently was destroyed- and can he either get another one for me, or if I can pay by direct payment into his account.

I'm happy to pay - but obviously don't want it to be possible to end up paying twice. What can I do short of demanding to see the (now destroyed) check?

Dave

Sponsored Links
Ring your bank up and cancel the first cheque.

Trouble is that it may cost you to do this so simply deduct the fee for doing this from the replacement cheque, (after cancelling the first cheque obviously).

Yup - I've emailed the plumber back and asked him to either return the knackered cheque, or I'll have to knock a tenner off the bill, since that's what the bank will charge me for stopping the duff one.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

Yup - I've emailed the plumber back and asked him to either return the knackered cheque, or I'll have to knock a tenner off the bill, since that's what the bank will charge me for stopping the duff one.

Thanks

WHAT?

You will knock a tenner off, so you obviously don't trust them?

Do you know them?

I hope you never need these tradesmen again, they'll get you back. :LOL:

Thanks

WHAT?

Do you know them?

why should the OP pay £10 to have a cheque cancelled, when it was his trader who messed up?

Thanks

WHAT?

Do you know them?

why should the OP pay £10 to have a cheque cancelled, when it was his trader who messed up?

Don't recall saying he shouldn't charge whatever the bank charges.

I asked if he knew the plumber and if he trusted him.......if the answer to both is yes then why cancel the cheque, why not just issue another.

taz123";p="2891510 said:
WHAT?
Do you know them?

I've never used them before - I've no idea whether or not to trust them. I also didn't destroy the check I gave them. I'm certainly not happy about giving someone (anyone!) 2x cheques without some assurance that they're not both going to be cashed. £10 is what the bank will charge me for cancelling a cheque.

Dave

They should tell you to deduct it. I do when I've lost a cheque.

wembleyford";p="2891535 said:
WHAT?
Do you know them?

I've never used them before - I've no idea whether or not to trust them. I also didn't destroy the check I gave them. I'm certainly not happy about giving someone (anyone!) 2x cheques without some assurance that they're not both going to be cashed. £10 is what the bank will charge me for cancelling a cheque.

Dave

I agree with you in these circumstances and you are correct to cover yourself, afterall they could have used a cheque cashing service using the original cheque already.

Tell them you will wait 5 days then issue a new cheque, less £10.

Tell him to swivel, It's his own fault.

Then pop out and treat yourself to a new telly. :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back