Replacement circuit breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Wylex board and one of the breakers appears to have had a melt down. It's a Wylex B16 NSB16. It flipped off and won't go back on. It's the kitchen ring and at the time, the kettle, washing machine and dishwasher were on.

My question is, am I ok to replace it with this?

Or if not, what should I be getting?

I've removed the breaker and all it has on it is B16 / NSB16 and stamped on the side is B16X SSRCRA.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You need to find the cause first and

then replace it with the same kind as was there.

You picture a 16A breaker - this is not adequate for the appliances you mention.
If it is a 16A which burned then you will probably need an electrician to examine the circuit.

Just to add.

The breaker may have been put in by mistake by someone or

it could have been put in to restrict the usage because of another fault.

As I said, it needs inspecting and testing to be safe.

Sponsored Links
I echo previous posts:
The circuit needs investigating. A 16A circuit seems a little low for the load you have mentioned, there could be good reason for this or it may have been replaced by the wrong breaker size.
Investigate why this has happen, it's likely an overload of the circuit that has caused the MCB to fail.

It may be possible to replace it with a B20, that would give you more waggle room when the loads are highest.

But (per the above) it needs investigating first as to why its a B16 in teh first place.

It does look like from the list that I was given that that batch code was amongst the recalled ones. It may be worth checking all 6, 10 and 16A breakers in your DB to see if any others are affected (post here and someone will tell you if others are on list)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back