circuit breakers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Need advise on Circuit Breakers.

I have Memera 2000 AD it has 2 Spare B16 Circuit Breakers (NO WIRING Connected ) .

Can i Change 1 of the spare B16 Circuit Breakers to B32 Circuit Breaker please

see photo
elec.jpg

The 2 Spare B16 Circuit Breakers are last 2 on righthand side

Sponsored Links
Three things:-

1] You are aware that the busbar will be live when you leave the main switch on which is not a good idea when you remove the CU cover - not even for a professional.

2] What circuit do you intend supplying with this new MCB ?

3] Are you competant to be wiring new circuits considering you have just asked such a simple question ?

Can i Change 1 of the spare B16 Circuit Breakers to B32 Circuit Breaker
  • Presumably so you can install a new circuit. Do you realise you'll need Building Regulations approval before you start?

• For that circuit, how did you go about deciding what cable and protective device to use?

• Do you know which circuits can be ring finals and which cannot, and what the advantages and disadvantages of each are?

• Do you understand how the way in which you install cables affects how much current they can carry?

• Do you know what the rules are concerning cables concealed in walls, partitions and under floors?

• Do you know what the rules are for cables run outdoors, buried in the ground or overhead?

• Where cables need to be joined, do you know how this should be done / not be done and in what circumstances are different methods acceptable?

• Do you know which circuits should be RCD protected?

• Do you know what tests you would carry out on the circuit - what sequence you'd do them in and at what point you would energise it, and for each test do you know what is being measured, why it is important, how you would carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK?

hi ricicle
1 > would not do it with power on .
2>want socket on a wall near front door (floor is solid) so easyer to put socket on wall next to meter cupboard and drill cable hole thro
3> Have changed shower curcuit breaker before (but not on this mem board).
If i have a problem i will get someone to do job > simples

Sponsored Links
If this circuit is simply supplying one outlet you do not need to do it on a 32A ring, you can supply one socket on a radial from the 16A mcb you already have.

A BS 1363 Socket Outlet = 13A
Your MCB = 16a,

32A's are used for rings because they supply many sockets.

Assuming you are clipping the cable direct you could use 1.5mm but I would stick with 2.5mm

Adding a new circuit is notifiable to your LABC so you will need to be able to test your work or pay them to test it.

Riccle was referring to the picture you have taken with the cover off and the main switch on.

You also have no RCD protection, which is why somebody thought it would be a good idea to add that Wylex RCBO (for your shower?) You would be better off adding a socket like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-13a-2-gang-rcd-active-socket/23064

You also have no RCD protection, which is why somebody thought it would be a good idea to add that Wylex RCBO (for your shower?)
You mean some idiot has jammed the Wylex RCBO Type C onto a Eaton MEM board's buzzbar. Good fit - not.
Tell me you were being sarcastic!

To the OP from your proposals, and from the state of your CU, you haven't got a clue what you are doing and the best I can suggest is that you call an electrician in to help you out.
For a start he could install a RCD protected shower unit CU with a 40Amp and 16Amp MCB.

I am sure you realise from replies already that it will cost more to DIY and comply with regulations than to get a scheme member electrician to do the work.

There are ways to do the job and first consideration is the RCD.
In theroy to use Ali-tube cable and a RCD socket would be cheap option. However my attempts to buy short lengths of Ali-tube cable have to date been unsuccessfully. Buying a drum of the stuff is rather expensive.

I would guess that the reason for the wrong make of RCBO is because the correct make is not available? Consumer units are type tested distribution units and as such the manufacturer needs to authorise any items fitted. Unlikely they would authorise another make of RCBO.

Which means the RCBO or RCD will need to be external.

So assuming you want to stay as close to the regulations as you can then the simple way around the problem is the FCU. I have not as yet understood why a FCU is not regarded under part P as a new circuit as it is a new circuit as far as BS7671:2008 goes. But as far as I can understand and as I am not a scheme member I stand to be corrected on this! to add a FCU and from that another socket does not require LABC to be notified. And BS7671:2008 (I don't have amendment 1) allows a spur direct from the consumer unit.

So as far as I can tell to fit a RCD FCU under your CU and tap into the existing ring MCB would allow you to add another socket and still be within the Part P requirements. Again I will stand to be corrected on this!

This method be it legal or not does give RCD protection and also will allow quite a high loop impedance 2.42 ohms Line - Neutral and far more Line - Earth and still comply.

Clearly to comply you should measure the loop impedance a simple tester like
this
will be near enough to ensure it's OK. However even these cost £39.95 + VAT click on picture to go to web site selling these.

By time you include even the price of a simple tester likely it will be cheaper to use a scheme member electrician. But I feel I should at least point out you can DIY even though likely easier and cheaper to get an electrician who is a scheme member to do the work for you.

Hi All
Memera 2000AD Was fitted by STOCKPORT COUNCIL last year when they were installing new central heating / kitchens / bathrooms ,
and they put new shower`s in. So is anything iff`y on board.
Every thing works ok .
So one thinks council lecky knows what he`s doing with shower when he fit Wylex RCBO Type C 40

So one thinks council lecky knows what he`s doing with shower when he fit Wylex RCBO Type C 40
I didn't understand that. The Wylex part is not correct and does not fit properly.

Have you got the papers from the person who installed and tested it?

How would you go about making a complaint?

I would guess that the reason for the wrong make of RCBO is because the correct make is not available?
The MEM RCBOs are readily available, though fairly expensive and not usually sold in DIY sheds. I for one have a small heap of them on a shelf.

CU only screwed on the right hand side.

Good grief you're right :eek:

Who dun that, I wonder?

Might it be on an old meter board?

Looks like he left his G&Y sheathing at home that day too (see earth terminal no.14)

Hi All
Now Getting pppp off never spotted missing sheathing or it being only supported on right hand side.
these meters were put in NEW , to replace old ones same time as stockport council started modernising there houses.
so chances are other council property will have same faults

Looks like he left his G&Y sheathing at home that day too (see earth terminal no.14)

It's the white functional earth for the RCBO I expect.

Too much hassle to drill a wall with the power off for the left side of the CU

It could be a trick of the light, but is that bare copper I can see on the live meter tail just above the main switch?

I am sure the new Eaton RCBO's will not fit the MEM 2000 busbar. The MEM has large busbar prongs whereas the new Eaton stuff is for small pronged busbar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back