Replacement door handle and lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

the forend part of the lock measures only 100mm and seems to sit deeper - the standard lever locks I can find measure 150mm so a bit taller but they also seem less deep.

I’ve added a picture of the door handle which I’m also trying to replace in case this looks familiar to anyone!

thanks

Attachments

• B4E1BA33-E60E-4FD9-B6B1-A1D1C451323C.jpeg
    B4E1BA33-E60E-4FD9-B6B1-A1D1C451323C.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 185
Sponsored Links
Take out the lock and photograph it please, and show dimensions of the case.

Be sure to tell us the maker's name.

Took the lock out but unfortunately don’t see a brand name on it. Just says 2 lever on the front. I’ve attached a picture showing it next to a standard 3 lever.

I thought the 2 and 3 had the same dimensions but please correct me if that’s not true.

Attachments

• AE13A8FC-18FC-4F50-9CE8-7A82331D57E6.jpeg
    AE13A8FC-18FC-4F50-9CE8-7A82331D57E6.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 179
please show dimensions of case

in mm or 1/32" (or both)
Yours is very old so it was probably designed in fractions of an inch.
In my example below you can see some of the metric measurements are surprisingly close to one inch, half inch, one and a quarter inch, three-eighths, and four and a quarter inch. This is not unusual for an old design of British lock.

Is anything stamped on the key?

here's an example of the dimensions

Dimensions A, B and C are the most important
and in your case total height of the case as it looks non-standard.

LocksOnline-Imperial-G8020-Bathroom-Mortice-Sashlock-Dimensions-500x500.jpg

A 2-lever lock would typically have been used as a bathroom lock, because it is cheap, flimsy and insecure. Thumbturns with emergency release are more common now.

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot John, it does seem non standard. Dimensions are:
A - 3 inches
B - 2.5 inches
C - 3.5 inches

also attached a picture with dimensions in mm (it’s the one on the left). Is the easier option just to fill the hole up and redo this? Just worried I might end up creating a much bigger hole to account for the hole...this was in place when I moved into the house and I didn’t get keys for it so unfortunately can’t see the brand name there.

Attachments

• 6AAE25DC-986B-4638-A2F6-DFF837151BC0.jpeg
    6AAE25DC-986B-4638-A2F6-DFF837151BC0.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 184
I'd suggest shaving away the top of the mortice so it is big enough for a modern lock case to slide in.

Union are very widely available, and easy to match. There is one with a 58mm backset to centre of keyhole, the extra would hidden by your handle plate, and the case is 101mm tall (the black-cased lock is their cheap range). Part no. ES3SL3B

Union-Essential-Sash-lock-dimensions_xlrg.jpg

This grey cased (part no 2277) is better quality but more expensive

Item-8183-2_xlrg.jpg

Yours is what they called a "three inch" sashlock" because the case is three inches deep; the backset from front edge to centre of keyhole varies by brand but may be around 2 1/2"
yours has a 2 1/2" backset which should be common. but I can't see a modern one with 62mm backset.

Is this for a non-secure door, like a bathroom? Or a door that needs to be secure, like a back door? I have a box of 5-lever sashlocks tucked away because they are useful on fire doors.

if you don't actually need key action, there are some mortice latches with a square case, not often seen now.

"Imperial" make locks to old-fashioned dimensions, and there is a company making copies of old Legge locks (the name escapes me, I will post later)

have a browse through here
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search/filter/ironmongery_type>{sashlock}?query=sashlock
the prices are usually good.

Last edited:
Thanks! Would have never found something similar on my own (and appreciate your responses being so quick!).

The height is 95mm but I’ll do as you suggested and try to squeeze the union one in the space. It’s an internal door (there is a separate backdoor) so I don’t need to get a very secure lock.

will pass on the knowledge in case I find someone else asking the same question. Cheers

Yeah definitely. I’ll only need to make some space on the forrnd side but otherwise this should be a close enough fit. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back