Replacement for a Thorn Main/Avon (hot water only)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps

My Thorn Main/Avon is on the way out... i've had the thermocouples replaced several times and I think its time to invest in a new boiler rather than keep throwing money at this one...

Could you recommend a couple of suitable boilers eg Baxi/Worcester and also a more budget one, to just replace this one. Understand that it will need to be condensing these days, it does not have to do CH at the moment, but if it has the facility can you use it without until I choose to have rads fitted?

Its about three ft in height and wall mounted (on the offchance that there are different models in the range)

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
options

1) go to //www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7 and browse all the (hundreds of) threads with subjects like "what's the best boiler"

2) ask round friends neighbours and colleagues for people who've had a boiler installled in the last few years,. ask what they thought of the installer. When you think you've found a good one, ask him to come round, advise you, and give a price. Ask to see his Corgi card. if he says "it's in my other trousers" "I left it in the van" "We don't need one of those, I can do it cheaper, wink wink" then find someone else.

3) Ask BG to come and give you a quote, so you know what is the absolute maximum anyone could possibly charge.

BTW for the price of a new boiler you could have dozens of thermocouples

I'm sure you could have dozens of thermocouples for the same price as a new boiler but unfortunately they don't seem to get installed by the thermocouple fairies and this needs to be done right as its going to be a rented property soon... with all the certificates and stuff that needs.

Thanks for giving a "kind of" answer though...

PS - I've been reading through this forum and people seem to be either saying... "why do you get all these quotes, it wastes the time and money of tradesmen" or "get these quotes, its a good alternative to having a customer who's in the know before he starts"

I wouldn't spend £1000+ on anything else without doing some research.

Sponsored Links
A really good installer makes all the difference.

As you know you have a multipoint water heater not a boiler, And as you are going to rent acccomodation . keep a multipoint, chaffateux are the best for changing it to. half a day max.. Then either storage heaters or a heat only boiler with rads. Chances of both beaking down at same time are remote and with electic shower tenants won`t be inconvienced

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back