Replacement for Glow-worm Ultimate 70FF boiler please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to replace my ageing glow-worm Ultimate 70FF open-vent boiler with something new. What are your recommendations please?

Think my 70FF is about a 22kW output boiler.. (My house is detached with 14 rads)...
Not interested in going combi as like the stored water.
Needs to fit inside a kitchen cupboard.
Flue to rear.

(I shall be using a qualified plumber to fit. This thread is not asking about how I would go about replacing the boiler!)

TIA,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Worcester 24ri or Vaillant Ecotec 428. Both good boilers but I would favour the Vaillant. S/Steel heat exch and I have the 418 (18kw) serving 13 rads plus hot water. You may well be ok with the 18kw. Do a proper heat calc. Your old gloworm is less efficient than any modern boiler. Wait for others to recommend their favourites. Everyone has their own opinion, but there's my two penneth for starters.

My views are not relevant because I am not going to fit your new boiler and I have not seen your house.

I can fit any make of boiler!

The obvious advice is to ask the installer who is to fit a replacement boiler.

They will have their own ideas, probably including some or all of what they ususally fit, how easy they are to fit, what profit they can make on the supply and similar aspects most of which are relevant to themselves rather than you.

Choose someone you are happy with and let him advise you.

Tony

Choose someone you are happy with and let him advise you.

Tony
Sorry, I can't live like that. Need to understand options myself prior to instructing a plumber, and hence this thread..

Sponsored Links
There are many makes and models of boilers. I have not seen your house. How do you expect me to be able to suggest any of them to you? I dont know anything about your installer.

You seem to be starting with an attitude that you will not trust whoever you engage to fit a new boiler.

If you dont trust him then you would not trust me either!

Do you have this idea that all plumbers are badly educated people whose sole aim is to rip you off?

Tony

Want to replace my ageing glow-worm Ultimate 70FF open-vent boiler with something new. What are your recommendations please?

Think my 70FF is about a 22kW output boiler.. (My house is detached with 14 rads)
Just because you have a 22kW boiler at present, it doesn't mean that you actually need a 22kW. The methods used for sizing boilers have improved considerably, mainly due to the continuing expense if it's wrong.

In addition there may have been changes to the house or improvements in insulation since the boiler was originally installed.

So you need to use the Boiler Size Calculator to find out what size boiler you need. It is probably advisable to get the next size larger as you will then have a bit of headroom to cater for the very cold winters we seem to be getting.

You don't say if you have an open vent (OV) system (small feed tank in the loft) or a sealed system (pressure gauge near the boiler).

If it's an open vent you can either replace it with another open vent or with a "system" boiler. But the system will need testing to make sure the pipes, valves etcs can stand the higher pressure without leaking.

If you already have a sealed system, you should fit a system boiler.

If you want the boiler to fit in a kitchen cupboard, you may find yourself limited in choice. Particularly if you want to shut the cupboard door! Measure the inside of the cupboard and post the dimensions.

There are many makes and models of boilers. I have not seen your house. How do you expect me to be able to suggest any of them to you?
Well, I thought by saying what my existing boiler was would aid the thought process.

Anyway, I thought this was a DIY forum designed to help people, like myself, better their knowledge and understanding. (There's a clue in the url address!).

Please stay off this thread Tony. Your comments aren't required.

Thanks,
Chris

Think my 70FF is about a 22kW output boiler.. (My house is detached with 14 rads)
<snip>
You don't say if you have an open vent (OV) system (small feed tank in the loft) or a sealed system (pressure gauge near the boiler).
I did. It's open vent.

Kitchen cupboard is 335mm deep and 900mm high. Width up to 600mm

Thanks,
Chris

cocjh1";p="2048937 said:
Please stay off this thread Tony. Your comments aren't required.

How dare you speak to Tony in this manor , he is one of the most qualified persons in the industry with years of experiance in the plumbing heating trade , a cut above the rest..................................or so he thinks.

:LOL: :LOL:

There are many makes and models of boilers. I have not seen your house. How do you expect me to be able to suggest any of them to you?

Well, I thought by saying what my existing boiler was would aid the thought process.

Anyway, I thought this was a DIY forum designed to help people, like myself, better their knowledge and understanding. (There's a clue in the url address!).

Thanks,
Chris

The make and model of the old boiler is of no relevance at all to the best boiler for your needs.

As I tried to explain to you, probably without much success, the issues relating to the installer's best choice will mostly have little relevance to your best interests.

You need to choose an installer whom you trust to give you the best advice independently of his best interests. In your case that may be difficult because you seem to distrust everyone.

I quote just one price to install any make of boiler as I believe thats more transparent for the customer. Most will just give you a single price to supply and install their best choice.

Its not such a simple decision and there are several variables to be taken into account.

Tony

He was misguided and obviously needs further help to understand the issues involved in choosing an installer and a new boiler.

<snip>
I did. It's open vent.
Specsavers, here I come. :oops:

Thanks for cupboard dimensions; there are plenty of boilers which will fit inside it. However the Vaillant Ecotec 4xx models are 340mm deep, so you would not be able to have a door on the cupboard.

Models which will fit with the door closed include (in alpha order):

Atmos Interopen - up to 22kW
Intergas Compact HRE OV - up to 30kW
Remeha Avanta - up to 30kW
Viessmann 100W Compact - up to 26kW
WB Greenstar Ri - max 24kW

Most of them have several versions. The outputs are the maximum they can provide.

I did suggest you use the boiler size calculator, but you don't seem to have done so. Why the reluctance to find out the answer to an important question?

Think my 70FF is about a 22kW output boiler.. (My house is detached with 14 rads)...

TIA,
Chris

Glow-worm ultimate 70ff is 20kw output, IMHO an 18kw ov boiler would be big enough to run 14 rads & cylinder.
But you should use a full house sizing calculator to get get it right as advised, or better still leave it up to a competent engineer to advise & specify replacement.

I also agree, Glow-worm ultimates are fairly reliable (apart from pcb) and will likely last a good few more years, I would keep it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back