Replacement for impulse flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20170711_110625.jpg 20170711_110634.jpg
Hi.
After having problems with a toilet which intermittently decides to continuously fill (normally in the middle of the night) I am looking to replace the fill valve (think thats the right term) it looks like a fluidmaster bottom entry one and should be a direct replacement.
My thoughts are that i take advantage of the fact that i have the water off etc to replace the flush mechanism too? Bathroom was in house when we moved in nearly 10 years ago so guessing its at least 12 years old.

The problem is it seems to be an impulse dual flush but they dont make them anymore. Can anyone recommend a decent replacement. Most of the ones i have seen online seem to have a cable mechanism linked to round flush buttons. Ours has no cable and an oval flush button.

Assuming I should replace the washers for the bolts joining the cistern to the toilet and the larger 'coupling gasket' too as they seem to be pretty furred up with what looks like limescale?

Finally is this a job best left for a plumber or something an optimistic diy'er could tackle.

Sorry for the long post - all help appreciated.

I have attached a pic

Sponsored Links
photo's are not very clear ,anyway ,as long as the hole in the cistern lid is round ,not oval, then a cable operated flush valve would be OK. cistern ,as far as I can tell from pic, does not appear to be anything out of the ordinary. you can buy for a couple of quid , a close coupling kit , new donut washer / bolts / nuts / flange . I prefer fluidmaster fill and flush valves , never had a problem,and get the fill valve with the brass threaded tail. if you have the tools its not particularly difficult to do. you must replace the seal where supply pipe fitting meets the fill valve tail.( more commonly known as the float valve ).

Hi Terry
Thanks for you quick reply. Sorry about the pics - not the easiest thing to photograph
The push button is oval so I guess my options might be more limited (and probably more expensive) any suggestions?

Will definitely replace washers and bolts etc and go for the brass threaded tail.

Thanks again for your help.

More pics of button etc

Attachments

• 1501183496648743515612.jpg
    1501183496648743515612.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 724
  • 1501183567835297111895.jpg
    1501183567835297111895.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 923
Sponsored Links
but is the hole on the cistern lid ,where the push button fits , round ??? as I have never seen one with an oval hole ??

Definately oval/ elongated shape

Pic 2 shows underneath

Attachments

• 1501184089091656098715.jpg
    1501184089091656098715.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 2,730
  • 150118414088445191547.jpg
    150118414088445191547.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 573
well those new pics sure look as though its oval !! new one on me !!! measure width and length of hole ,you may well find a replacement that is oval on top ,with a round " shank ". as long as it covers the hole in lid it will be fine .

Hi nickyjj,

I see that this thread is more than 1 year old, however I can't see how you resolved the problem. As I am in the exact same situation as you were, can you please let me know how you solved the problem? Mine is an Impulse Toilet with ovel flush button with exact same pictures you posted at the time.

Thanks for your anticipated response.

Hi there,
I'm having the same trouble, too – with the Impulse oval toilet flush. I'd be very grateful if you could please describe the actual method you used to replace yours, as the lid of the cistern on ours seems not to want to lift off. I presume one has to unscrew connections first, but it's not clear how one does this. One right-side button of our flush has come off entirely, so there is a gap. Does the other button / other half of the flush simply lift off (with flat head screwdriver?). Is there a further screw that would need undoing? Any advice would be hugely welcome. The flush works by pressing the one side left. It's just one half of the flush that has come away, now lost. Thank you in advance if you can help, best regards

Having this issue too. What flush valve did people use to replace this? Also wondering if I could maybe just buy a new seal and that would work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back