Replacement glass panel for a front door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a front door with two wired glass panels.

The lower panel is cracked and needs to be replaced.

Wired glass is quite resistant to breaking and so prevents entry.

But it is no longer made so what are the best options for replacement. It does not need to be seen through so plywood might be a good option.

Sponsored Links
You can find some on eBay if you search for "georgian wired glass" or "wired safety glass" otherwise you could go with a laminated glass or a toughened glass and any good glass stockists will be able to cut them to size for you.

Wired glass is used as it’s heat resistant but breaks quits easily , laminated is better for security .

You can find some on eBay if you search for "georgian wired glass" or "wired safety glass" otherwise you could go with a laminated glass or a toughened glass and any good glass stockists will be able to cut them to size for you.
Georgian wire cast ( obscure) is no longer deemed a safety glass and there is a shortage in the UK presently . To be honest toughened glass is your cheapest option ,would have to be ordered to the correct size though as once toughened you can't cut it.
Laminate is good if you get 6.4 ( or 6.8 ) it's only two pieces of 3mm glass either side of the interlayer so if it's a larger piece it does run a risk of being easy to crack but not necessarily break.

Just remember which ever glass you go for , it's not infallible and can be broken in the right circumstances

Sponsored Links
But is there really any advantage having glass when light is not needed?

Surely plywood would be as good for a fraction of the cost?

It is a traditional wooden door with a top and bottom panel.

Personally I wouldn't use plywood , firstly op had never mentioned whether light is needed or not....I suspect it would be advantageous. I also wouldn't use Georgian wire ...hate the look of the stuff. If there is a need for fire rated glass ( blocks of flats and the like ) , I'd use 7mm Pyrodur , if no need for fire rating then normal toughened glass

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back