Replacement hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace my current gas hob with a different one. It is working fine, it's just that it's the wrong colour now that I have changed the kitchen door facias.

Is it safe for me to switch the gas off at the main (and switch off the cooker mcb) - then unscrew the old gas fitment & remove electric ignitor on the old hob, reconect the new hob gas fitment - connect in the electric ignitor and then put the gas back on at the main.

Or are there other issues I need to be aware of? This is MY hob in MY house. It is not work for the public!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your hob shold have an isolating gas cock either behind the cooker or in the back of the unit proximal.

If you have bought an ex display or shop soiled hob it will definately be short of the very important manufacturers' gas connection, so you will have to obtain one from the manufacturer.

Observe manufacturer's instructions for correct distances/space to side of and above hob. Similarly for ventilation provision which is determined by room size.

Use correct ptfe if using it (i.e. non sintered)

Use correctpaste if using it (i.e. Jet Blue, Rocol)

Use only tapered iron connectors not parallel, if using.

check soundness of full installation before and afterwards.

Purge pipework correctly, gas rate the hob on comisioning, ensure pipesizing is correct, installation pipework run correctly, make sure the jets are the right ones, and that any safety devixes are functioning correctly. Visually observe flame picture for corrrectness.

If you don't know how to or are not equiped to do any of these corrrectly you are not competent.

When you've installed your new hob you have to inform Building Control and pay for them to come and inspect it.
A corgi bod would do it through Corgi

p nb said:
only a corgi engineer can work on gas
Don't YOU start! :LOL: This is a question with vagueness in the answer, and there are several tiresome threads going back forever.
If it's your own gaff AND you are, really, competent to work on gas then it's OK, otherwise it's not legal. And I'm saying no more.

Sponsored Links
oops, forgot notification.

By the way is anyone in the corgi toilet notification scheme? In this area there has been a blanket ignoring of that fiasco.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back