Replacement LED Driver for LAP Batten

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. One of my Sc***fix 5ft LAP Batten's has given up the ghost so I decided I had nowt to lose and took the end-caps off to see if I could sort it without having to resort to forking out another £40 forra new one.
The layout is 2 x semi-rigid strips, (160 each) connected in 8 parallel groups of 40 series-connected 2835 (I think, judging by their size) LED's. All the LED's and tracks test OK. I can't find any data on the existing driver unit, other than a reference to an almost identical one on a Polish website but that one has only suffered from a blown fuse. Mine, as you can see from the attached pics has spat it's dummy out :giggle:. There are no resistors on the strip so I'm presuming it will be a constant current setup ? Anyway, I checked one of my other battens and when it's on, the output from the driver seems to show roughly 120v which seems to tally with my understanding of a 2835 requiring a forward voltage of about 3V, so 40 X 3V = 120V. However, it's the current side I'm not 100% sure of, which is where I hope you guys can help ?

As far as I can tell the 2835 takes 60mA to drive it, so I guess that will be .18W each. So shouldn't 320 of them total about 57.6W ? The problem is the failed driver seems to have 43W written on it and everywhere I look online seems to point to getting a driver that will have a 20% "allowance" over the actual load, therefore suggesting that an 80W unit would be the best bet ? If I am right in my understanding of all this, is it also the case that a constant current driver will self-regulate the correct voltage for the LED setup, so what I have to do to get the correct spec is to look for a 60W Constant Current Driver that has 120V in its output range ?

Hopefully that'll be the case coz it looks like drivers in that range are about £20 or so, whereas a new Batten is closer to £45 !

TIA

Attachments

• top.png
    top.png
    627.5 KB · Views: 32
  • track.png
    track.png
    711.8 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
Do I take it from the lack of any reply but over 70 views that the best option here is to buy another batten unit ? Ah well :(. Worth a try.

Avoid LAP is my advice
To be fair, I bought 4 units in 2018 and this is the only one that's played-up but I do know where you're coming from, buy cheap, buy twice :LOL:. The thing is, I didn't consider nearly £40 each when I got them particularly cheap :unsure:.

Sponsored Links
Just thought I'd post back with an update. Found a guy on eBay selling some 2nd hand Helvar LL1x70-E-CC Adjustable Constant Current Drivers, four of them for £15 so I thought I'd take a punt. The result is I now have a working LED Batten again & 3 spare working drivers if I ever need 'em for 'owt :giggle:. I did have to swap-out a couple of LED's that'd blown that I noticed once I tested it with the new driver but no biggy and I've saved £25 for the sake of about an hour and half of my time.

"I'm sorry sir, these units have no user replaceable parts".............PAH :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back