replacement light fitting in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, New to this so apologies if im going over old ground.

My problem is a replacement light fitting in the bathroom. the old one disintegrated on changing a bulb so i went and got a new one.

On trying to put the new one in i find it has only two poles whereas the old one had three.

there are six wires to the rose, theres an extractor fan wired in to the light circuit, earth two red two black and a grey which i assume is neutral. How do i connect them so light and fan work together, no overrun, tried twisting the pairs of red and black together but fuse blew on operating the switch

oibviously from reading further i know ive wired together a switched and permanent live. still have too many wires, what do i do with them

Please note 10a ;)

Sponsored Links
Try seeing if it looks like the pictures in the "for reference" section at the top of the forum...

You may need to add a junction box into the space above the old fitting to contain all the extra wiring if the new fitting has less working room- is it in a loft that is accessible?
Did the fan supply go though the light switch or did it have its own switch, and just happen to be fed from the old ceiling rose?
Otherwise indentify where all the wires go, and make it like the pictures in the 'for reference' section.
regards M.

thanks for the advice. its a downstairs flat so im working in limited space and no access from above but i'll see how it goes.

fan works off the light switch by the way

Welcome to the forums, but please see note in your First post

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back