Replacement Windows help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a pic of my 1935 house. I love the look of the original windows but in terms of energy efficiency/condensation/sound/wood rot/fact the openers are painted shut downstairs they need replacing/maintaining
what options do I have? I have raised a few threads on here and some advice I recently got was to stop taking out the original features!

I have been quoted by a local glazier I have used before, £2800 to get all front 3 replaced and the back bathroom window. He advised that the "turret" at the top is best to be removed as its already falling forward. you can see the next door neighbours have had their windows replaced and the bricks above have nearly fallen into their front garden! But I quite like the look of the "Turret" - even though it serves no purpose.Its a lead roof above the bay and he says until he gets up there he will check there are no more problems it can stay , but otherwise a lead cert roofer will need to make good/replace.

im just looking at options at the moment...
I think £2800 is good price although I havent received any other quotes yet.
How much is it to get them restored with double glazed panels keeping the original glass? similar figure and I would contemplate.
Can I keep the original glass/get it matched and fitted into the new plastic windows?

any advice/recommendation much appreciated

Sponsored Links
to be fair 2800 sounds like a good price but you can add another 200 for replicating that leading it can be done just need to take some pictures
no point trying to use the original glass its just not viable but a good glass shop will copy the style no problem
i wouldnt stand underneath your neighbour's bay !! that turret looks scary

2800 sounds fair enough to me, especially if youve used him before. you may get it cheaper but not worth it with bays. they should be able to get close with the glass, they wouldnt reuse

Sponsored Links
If you want to replace with a flush sash look alike check out residence 9, bit more expensive than your standard upvc but worth it, also comes in triple glazed.

Dare I ask, but...

Those wooden frames and leaded windows are beautiful. Are you really sure that you want to rip out and replace with UPVC? Once the originals are gone, they are gone. It is totally irreversible.

I have a 1930s semi, and whilst many internal features are preserved, most windows were replaced by the previous owners. I really really wish that they hadn't done so, but there is chuff all I can do now. Predictably, the plastic tat is badly fitted and already one window is stuck closed (only 11 years old!). If I ever have the cash, I would love to have wooden replicas of the originals made.

Can you not get a local joiner to repair the wooden frames? Basic repairs to rotten wood are easy DIY, and if maintained, should outlive plastic. Should be cheaper, too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back