Replacing 5 x trvs with a combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace 5 x trv's on a CH system that has a 1year old Combi boiler.

I know I need to turn the boiler off but do I also need to turn the mains off?

Also would you advise draining the system or is their an easier way?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You should get some more work then you wouldn't waste your time or mine!

If anyone has any sensible help I would be very greatful.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
1, You do not have to turn off cold supply.
2, De pressurise the system via a drain cock and depending on how skilled you are it is possible to change valves without draining the entire system. Any auto air vent should be closed and there may be enough vacuum created to enable you to do the work. It all depends on your system layout, whether you are changing the tails etc, and available pipe movement.
3, For a diyer it is best to drain to save any accidents, but you will lose your inhibitor.

not trying to be funny but if you ask questions like "should you turn the mains off" then its obvious you are not familiar with these things, and as a result are opening yourself up to a nice can of worms.

and I don't need any more work, I'm quite rich just ripping off one person per week.

Thanks pete, I appreciate your help.

I have the inhibitor ready to go, my main thought was about turning off the mains to drain.

I figured with having to do 5 TRV's and there's also one radiator that doesn't get any heat to it I figured it wouldn't do any harm to drain the system.

My understanding is that the Water for the utilities is on a seperate feed from the boiler (mains fed) and the CH is on a seperate loop filled via the filling loop and therefore is unncessary to turn off mains to drain the CH system.

Is this correct?

Many thanks

You do not need to touch the cold feed/mains to your boiler. Simply change the valves and refill via the fill loop after adding inhibitor. This can be poured into the rad by removing the top plug and using a funnel.

Yup. You got it. Take your time and make your mistakes on paper.

My understanding is that the Water for the utilities is on a seperate feed from the boiler (mains fed) and the CH is on a seperate loop filled via the filling loop and therefore is unncessary to turn off mains to drain the CH system.

Don't forget to turn the boiler off as you don't want it running when you open a hot tap with no water init.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back