Replacing a 1970s cooker control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently refurbing my 1970s kitchen. The electric cooker control is a 1970s Crabtree unit with On/Off Cooker switch + integrated switched socket.
The equivalent modern cooker control is double-socket sized -- literally half the size of this unit.
So, I propose to remove the existing cooker control, remove the old back box, fit the new smaller back box and fill any voids with cement or plaster.
Any problems with this approach?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
I've got a couple of these
452031.jpg

very annoyingly the box is bigger than a double socket, so nothing else seems to fit

have a look at the cable runs first. If you find yourself short of cable you could move the new box down a little bit to get a bit more slack.

I think chopping it out and mortaring in a new one is the way to go. Use at least one screw to prevent it moving or pulling out while you are working. You can pack soft mortar in from the front and push it over the top of the new box so it falls down and fills the gap at the back. Wet the hole first. IMO mortar is much better than plaster for this kind of thing. You can rub the surface back a bit with a sponge to give you a slight recess for a thin finish plaster or filler later.

Sponsored Links
I've got a couple of these
452031.jpg

very annoyingly the box is bigger than a double socket, so nothing else seems to fit

have a look at the cable runs first. If you find yourself short of cable you could move the new box down a little bit to get a bit more slack.

I think chopping it out and mortaring in a new one is the way to go. Use at least one screw to prevent it moving or pulling out while you are working. You can pack soft mortar in from the front and push it over the top of the new box so it falls down and fills the gap at the back. Wet the hole first. IMO mortar is much better than plaster for this kind of thing. You can rub the surface back a bit with a sponge to give you a slight recess for a thin finish plaster or filler later.

I'll be tiling over it, so a neat finish isn't crucial.
I actually prefer the larger 1970s-style controls. My present one is a nice shade of beige...
Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back