Replacing a 2x L1/L2 switch with a L1/L2 + COM switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2-way switch for a hallway light that has just broken (one of the plastic pivots as snapped and the entire assembly has popped out).

It has 2x L1 (grey wires) & 2x L2 (black wires) in the switch and brown wires connected with a choc block.

The replacement switch has L1/L2 and a COM.

I'm confused by the wiring - it sounds like it's 3-phase cable (from what I can gather) but I have 1-phase electrics.

2023-10-16 21_30_03-Presentation1 - PowerPoint.png

I need advice on what the wiring needs to be for my replacement switch, but would like some feedback on what the brown is doing.

2023-10-16 21_31_42-Presentation1 - PowerPoint.png

TIA

Sponsored Links
I think I've just found what this is - it's an intermediate switch that requires 2x in and out - I will need another intermediate to replace it.

Still begs the question what the cable is and what the brown is doing though.

Show us a pic of the back of the actual switch ,and the other switches that work in conjunction with it.The cable is 3 core and earth ,common for use in two way switching set ups.

Sponsored Links
You need an intermediate switch.

The brown is a common link between the 2x 2 way switches, if you look in the other 2 switches the brown will be in com in both.

Edit...ok as you have 4 switches you'll have 2 x intermediate and 2x 2 way.

You are assuming it's three phase as the colours in your cable are black brown and grey which indeed are the colours for three phase but are also the new colours for three core and earth cables

Thank you all - stumbled on a stackexchange with the same question as me and all stacks up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back