Replacing a 3 way switch with a 1 way

MK switches are not the best to terminate, the grub screws are generally poor quality and difficult not to damage.

If you like that style I would use click mode.

Sponsored Links
11_img_20150612_171908537.jpg

In spite of the size of picture can't really trace the wires but it does seem that L1 and L2 are used in at least one of the three switches.

First definitions gang refers to number of switches is a block so you have a three gang switch. Way refers to the switching options so a rotary selector switch on your oven could have 7 ways but a standard switch can only have two ways or on/off you may get two way centre off.

So a switch with Com and L1 and L2 is a two way switch we also get a change over more commonly called a intermediate switch.

Two way refers to the two options and even if you have 6 switches to work the same light it's still two way.

So wire count I make to seven one I will assume is line in so 6 wires out. That would indicate all three switches are wired as two way. i.e. no terminals unused.

Since except for the line there seems to be only a single wire in each terminal my thoughts is this is the last switch rather than the first switch.

two-way-real.bmp
Looking as a standard wiring diagram it would seem the main of first switch has 5 wires per switch and the last one three wires per switch.

So it seems you must find the other switches. Lucky you have not plastered yet as it seems likely you will need to move some wires to get this switch to work a single light.

Even in my mothers house 1954 two way pull cords were used if that's the case then easy access but you need to find the other switch as likely that one is the master not the one you show.

The problem is permitted zones. So that people do not drill into cables we have rules as to where cables can be run. It is considered that a switch or socket shows there are likely cables feeding it so either vertical or horizontal from a device one can run cables.

However remove the device and the cables also then need removing or making dead. One can't simply connect the wires together and plaster over them.

What seems odd is normally with two way switching line would go in L1 or L2 but in your case it seems to go into Com. School boy wiring would use com
two-way-school-boy.bmp
but logistics make this unusual with real wiring.

So it would seem you have some investigation to do. Glad your doing it and not me as once we enter DIY wiring there is no convention and so every wire needs ringing out and a diagram making to show what you have.

Wow I resisted posting the image, as the Pic is bigger than my PC screen! :p

It is difficult to say for sure, as cable routes/positions cannot be seen in total.

But it maybe that the middle switch has the perm live terminated to it and the black core at L1/2 on that gang is the switch line and this is not two way, all other cable are then redundant (excluding earth)!

I think they are redundant , in any case , long story short , plasterer is coming monday and we have been waiting weeks for him , so if i want this tied up , i need a sparky to come and look today or tomorrow i guess because its getting beyond me

Sponsored Links
I think the picture will reduce as the new software roles out? But seven wires and one feeds three terminals so basic a wire in every hole so it would seem must be two way wired but with line in com not the standard method.

So need to check the other switches.

OK two way could mean you can select either / or so two lights and you switch between them but that would be unusual as well. Just hope they posted before plastering started as seems likely there will be some rewiring some where.

Three wires to each switch = second switch some where working same light.
Using Com for permanent line = not standard wiring.

If it followed standard wiring there is a chance we could work it out.
But as it is it may take the electrician some time to work it out specially if you have removed the second switches.

Hi , yes , sorry , there was a switch on the wall the side of the bedside lights , this has been removed also , made safe etc
So you've removed wall lights and a switch?

You must not leave the cables in the walls unless they are completely disconnected.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

When you say "made safe", what do you mean?

And if you simply remove a switch that was one of a 2-way pair the other one will stop working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back