REPLACING A CENTRAL HEATING PUMP LIKE FOR LIKE?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I AM REPLACING MY BROKEN WILO 50 PUMP. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT I SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE OTHER MAKES AND MODELS AND THAT I DON'T HAVE TO REPLACE LIKE FOR LIKE. IS THIS TRUE? I AM A NOVICE WHO IS ONLY REPLACING THE PUMP HIMSELF AFTER A NUMBER OF YOU WERE KIND ENOUGH TO HELP ME DETECT THE PROBLEMS AND EXPALIN HOW I CAN REPLACE THE PUMP. I WANT THE NEW PUPM TO PLUG STRAIGHT IN WITHOUT HAVING TO MESS AROUND WITH PIPES ETC. IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A DIFFERENT BRAND TO SLOT IN EXACTLY WHERE MY WILO 50 WAS REMOVED FROM? IF NOT DO I NEED EXTENSION ETC WILL ALL BRANDS LINE UP LIKE MY WILO 50

Sponsored Links
THANK YOU, I THOUGHT SHOP WAS TRYING TO SELL ME ANYTHING. UNDERNEATH MY PUMP THERE IS A SILVER BOX WITH A WIRE GOING INTO IT, WHAT DOES IT DO? SHOULD I WORRY ABOUT IT? ALSO IT HAS A LEVER AT THE SIDE, WHAT DOES THE LEVER DO?

That's a motorised valve. Just don't get the head of it wet. Plastic bag called for.

STOP SHOUTING

Sponsored Links
sorry, caps lock on by mistake. which position should the lever be in? also how do i know if its the electric valve and not the pump that is broken? the pump is piping hot, and all pipes around the pump are hot. Every so often the pump makes a sound as if it is circulating. (sorry i'm going on and on. I am just trying to cover all bases and don't want to replace pump and find that weren't the problem) am greatful for all advise to date!

A search on "pump" will reveal how to test it.

Valve Lever should be in Auto position, Man holds it open

the problem is that I can't heat the radiators. The hot water is piping hot but the rads stone cold. the pupmp was making vibrating sounds. I have an old potterton flamingo boiler, when on it auotmatically heats the water, i have to turn the themo on to heat rads. the themo clicks when i turn on so i think it is working. ihave bled the rads and pump (not full bleed though, just enough to let air out). The pipes around the pump are hot. the pupm gives off a circulating sound every so often but does nothing.

A search on "pump" will reveal how to test it.

I have fitted new pump, it is same make and model as old. i have fitted in the same position as old. booklet says it is in wrong position but it is the same as the old and old one haed been working in that position for years. new pump is working but rads still cold, i have bled rad closest to hot tank unit it heated up but it only heats at top and cold at botton. should I continue to bleed rads or should i change pump position?

am in the middle of bleeding the pump. i have taking the screw out of the centre, but water is only trickling, should i leave it trickle away or try something else?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back