Replacing a different sized internal door- Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and wonder if someone could advise me pls.

I need to replace an internal door and the current one measures 2040mm (H) x 760mm (W) and is 45mm thick.

To replace it with like for like, I would have to get it custom made to measure, (as I have researched this), but which I am trying to avoid.

The closest sized door that I can buy, (not custom made), measures 2040mm x 726mm x 40mm thickness.
This door will then be 34mm narrower (and 5mm less thick than my existing one).

My question is, what changes to the frame etc can I expect (if possible & if required), does the carpenter have to make to fit it as it would be smaller?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You should be able to find such a dimension'ed door locally or try "door express" who will have what you want.

Hi Ree,
Thanks for the reply.

I am trying to avoid going down the custom made route, which I would have to do to get the same dimensions as the existing door.

I was more wondering what works the carpenter would have to do to fit a new door with the smaller dimensions ie width and thickness (as listed above), that I am looking to buy.

Thanks

I dont understand - I've directed you to a site that will supply roughly what you say you need - they supply from stock they dont make doors, as far as I know?
Any carpenter on site will adjust most any door but I cant comment on the lining because I haven't seen it.
Maybe you have a planted stop that needs adjusting?

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks. Yes I already have a door which I am intending to buy. It isnt the exact dimensions, but close and is the most reasonably priced - after lots of looking around.
I also checked out the site you mentioned.

Good to know that the carpenter may be able to adjust the door that I intend to buy.
So the 'planter stop' may need adjusting (I will look this up as havent a clue what this is).
I suppose the carpenter will be able to advise when they come out and see it.
I didn't want to buy the door before someone seeing if it definately could be adjusted - so will wait until the carpenter comes out to see..

Many thanks for your input.

I think most doors are built with fitting in mind and have extra wood to accommodate planing down. 45mm sounds thick, I have engineered oak door and they are 35mm thick - is your perhaps a fire door. As for putting a 40mm in when it was 45mm all that should be needed to be done is move the strike plate. But if it was a fire door ther must of been a reason for it to be one so maybe need to replace with a fire door.

Thanks for the comprehensive advice. So I take it that the carpenter will/should be able to do the necessary adjustments to enable the proposed door to be fitted.
No it isn't a fire door and no requirements for one -just an internal downstairs door.

Many Thanks

Thanks for the comprehensive advice. So I take it that the carpenter will/should be able to do the necessary adjustments to enable the proposed door to be fitted.
No it isn't a fire door and no requirements for one -just an internal downstairs door.

Many Thanks
Yes for a carpenter its bread and butter. Over a year I fitted 12 engineered oak doors in my house and every one needed planing to fit. I don't think any of my doors will fit any other of my door inings other than the one it is in - standard 1960s semi

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back