Replacing a Elec Hob With A Ceramic Hob - wiring conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have bought a ceramic hob to replace a conventional electric hob. There is already a professionally installed fused circuit with a dedicated RCD etc. The problem I have is the ceramic hob has two L terminals that are bridged together and I know I only need one, but the connector is so small I cannot physically get the bundle of live wire into just one of the L terminals and the bridge connector. Is it acceptable to run three of the live copper wires from the bundle into one live terminal and the other three into the adjacent L terminal or does the whole bundle have to be in the same "hole"?

Many thanks for any hints.

Sponsored Links
What is the cable size?

Spliting the cable termination across the 2 points shouldn't be done.

Would a crimp fit?

CTEYESLASHYSLASH4.JPG

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CTEYEslashYslash5.html

Thanks Chri5, I think it is 2.5mm there are seven strands of copper it is quite stiff and difficult to manipulate (previously fed the electric hob). The connector block is a conventional plastic block with a screw in each segment and is too small to fit the supply cable and the bridge piece that connects the L terminals, if I could put the cable in a crimp with a flat end that would probably do it, thanks for the suggestion.

As it is stranded, your cable will be at least 4.0mm² or possibly 6.0mm²

What is the rating of the new hob? (It will be on a plate on the hob, and be a rating in W or kW)

Where does the other end of the cable goto? Is there a plate on the wall which it connects into?

Sponsored Links
I think it is 6.2KW, the other end of the cable goes into a dedicated sealed box on the wall and the consumer unit has an RCD dedicated to that and the cooker which has a separate switched supply box next to the one for the hob.

I also thought about replacing the connector block on the hob with a larger block (although it seems a bit ridiculous to have to amend the innards of a brand new appliance).

The other alternative is to use narrow diameter cable but I was wary of this in case it would be overloaded.

As you can tell I am no sparky but the ones around here either want around £80 for what I could have done myself in 5 minutes if the connector block was large enough or are not interested because it is too small a job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back