Replacing a Honeywell ST6100A programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Hopefully someone clever out there can help me out

I currently have a Honeywell ST6100A installed on my Potterton central heating system and i think if i understand the jargon its a 1 channel programmer(ie it turns both the heating and the hot water on or off).

I would like to replace it with a Honeywell 2 channel programmer such as a ST9400A with a view to being able to switch the heating and hot water on independantly.

My question is is this possible? and Is it as simple as swapping the front of the programmers as i understand the base plates are similar?, or would i need to do additional wiring to go from 1 channel to 2 channel?

Thanks for any help offered

Dave

Sponsored Links
How you can control your heating and hot water depends on what other controls are fitted to your system. To have independent control you need motorised valves. Describe your system please.

I currently have a Honeywell ST6100A installed on my Potterton central heating system and i think if i understand the jargon its a 1 channel programmer(ie it turns both the heating and the hot water on or off).

I would like to replace it with a Honeywell 2 channel programmer such as a ST9400A with a view to being able to switch the heating and hot water on independantly.

My question is is this possible?
It all depends on why you only have a 1 channel timer; it could be due to the type of system you have.

Can you supply more info on the components you have, including names/model no if possible. Pics would be helpful as well.

Thanks for the quick replies, i will get the model names/numbers when i get home tonight. Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Hi gents, i have just checked what i have and i have a Potterton Suprima HE 30HE boiler that feeds 4 radiators and also a hot water storage tank. On the pipework i have a grundfos selectric (pump?) part number 96281426 and a honeywell(3 port motorised valve?) part number V4073A1039 and my programmer is a Honeywell ST6300A not a St6100A as i had previously mentioned.

Again any help is very greatfully recieved.

Cheers

1. Is there a thermostat on the side of the HW cylinder? Looks like this:

View media item 10596
2. Set the HW slider to ON, turn the HW stat to min. Does the CH still work

3. Set the programmer's HW slide switch to OFF. Does the CH still work?

If you can answer 'yes' to all three questions, you can fit an ST9400A without any problem. Just remove the old one from the backplate and clip on the new one.

If any are 'no', you will have to fit a cylinder stat (if not there) and make some wiring alterations.

Sadly i have checked and i dont have a thermostat installed on or near the hot water cylinder so it looks like i have fallen at the first hurdle!.

Thanks very much D_Hailsham for your quick and expert advice though, we are hoping to move soon so i will probably live with the system as it stands rather than go any furthur.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back