Replacing a honeywell thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A family member recently broke a http://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell-t6360b-room-thermostat/26159 by using a wallpaper steamer below it (pretty silly thing to do, I know).

I was thinking of replacing it with a digital one, (is http://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell-dt90e-digital-room-thermostat-eco/41365 ok?)

This should be a pretty straightforward switch if I can find where the isolator switch is for the thermostat. I recently bought this house, so I am still getting my bearings on were everything is. The fusebox is in the kitchen, but the wiring from the thermostat goes into the loft. Is there a chance the wiring for this thing comes from another fusebox and not the "supposedly" main one in the kitchen?

Sponsored Links
if I can find where the isolator switch is for the thermostat.
The switch which turns off the central heating - near the boiler or timer/programmer usually - should control the thermostat as well.
You need to test to be sure.

The new thermostat will not need the neutral wire so isolate it and tuck it out of the way. Don't cut it, you may need it in the future.

Sponsored Links
Isolate is totally different to insulate.

i·so·late (s-lt)
tr.v. i·so·lat·ed, i·so·lat·ing, i·so·lates
1. To set apart from others.

in·su·late (ns-lt, nsy-)
tr.v. in·su·lat·ed, in·su·lat·ing, in·su·lates
1. To prevent the passage of heat, electricity, or sound into or out of, especially by surrounding with a nonconducting material.

The OP could "isolate" the neutral conductor from the other ones and "tuck it away" it into a handy cavity, where it may connect with the damp wall behind, tripping the RCD.
It wont do that if it is insulated, and then tucked away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back