replacing a light switch with a sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am trying to replace a light switch in my garage with a pir. The problem i have is that is a 2way switch. got common L1 and L2 going into switch, on the pir i have N L and L1. I can not seem to get it to work. tried all combinations of wiring but no joy? And ideas pls?
Chris

Sponsored Links
Are you trying to fit the PIR in the same place as the switch using only the cables available at the switch? If you are the problem you are having is that there probably isn't a neutral at the switch but you require a neutral for the PIR. Do you still require a switch in the garage? Do you have easy access to the cables? Are you confident working with electrics?

Anyway, here's a quick run-down if you don't require a switch:

You want to take a feed from the lighting circuit and put phase (brown) into the L terminal of the PIR and neutral (blue) into the N terminal. Then connect the phase conductor that is going to the light fitting to L1. Connect the neutral conductor to the neutral terminal at the PIR and obviously connect up all the earth's (remembering to sleeve them with green + yellow sleeving.)

Davy

Davy,
Thanks, Thought I would have to start again. The problem being the other 2 way is inside the utility, don't need it once pir is on and did not want to lift up floor boards to get to wiring. Oh well will have to stay as a switch.
Chris.

You can get switch-replacement PIR's that do not need a neutral. Whether they can be used on two-way circuits, I'm not sure.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back