Replacing a Potterton 2001 Timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a Potterton EP2001 central heating/water controller, but I want to replace it with one that can control the heating/hot water on seperate timers. I have seen that Potterton do one called the Ep6002 and that it uses a common 'backplate'. Does this mean that I can just take the old one off and put the more modern one on or would it require re-wiring too ?

If it is possible without re-wiring, is this something that I can do without degree in electrical engineering to complete ?

Sponsored Links
Do you have two motorised valves or a 3 port mid position... if you have either of these systems then just changing the front should be ok as all wiring should be in place.

If you don`t you may need extra valve fitted and wiring altered to give you independent times

I am not 100% sure what the setup is, but as I can currently have either hot water, central heating or both on I assume that it is a 3 way job. I just want to be able to time the CH.HW differently as I don't always want to keep the HW on during the winter months where the CH is one more.

By your description then yeah you will be able to have them at seperate time just by changing the front of programmer

Sponsored Links
thanks for your help, I have just ordered the Ep6002 and will attempt to fit it myself !!! Please check the 'Diy Disaster' group in the near future for an account of how it went.... :confused:

Will take you 2 mins to fit it,dead easy. Best way to set it up is have the HW come on half hour before the heating that way there is a lot of heat into the system already and the rads will heat up quicker

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back