Replacing a powermax155

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a renatl property withe a powermax 155 its about 17 years old and in need of it's yearly coil descale (norfolk hard water!) as the bath flow is very slow again. I'm thinking due to the age of it rather than waste more time and money i should just change it now and hopefully have happy tenants who give me no hassle.

My preferred option would be an unvented cylinder and standard boiler but space could be an issue as the powermax is located in an upstairs cupboard. Cost is also an issue and it's been suggested to me that something like a valliant ecotec 28 combi would be more than sufficient but having been on the website and put in house details (smallish 3 bed detached with 1 bathroom and ensuite) it says I need something bigger with about 15litres flow rate and suggested a "plus 937" but that was about £1250 before the flue etc is added. I also looked at a Biasi Advance Plus 35kW Combi Boiler because this was very much cheaper and had a similar flow, but on their website the boiler chooser said go unvented and didn't recommend a combi at all.

the obviuos answer and one I'm sure I'll be given is get some quotes from local engineers but just thought it would be worth asking peoples opinions here on the combi/unvented debate and also on if it's worth paying nearly twice as much for a valliant if a combi is acceptable... historically those type of questions have caused some interestingly heated debates so please don't fall out with each other on my behalf!

thanks in advance to all who answer,

Sponsored Links
We all have our views!

But mine would be to have an unvented cylinder as that suffers less from lime scale problems!

Tony

Many parts of Norfolk suffer scale problems like you describe, Attleborough, East Dereham etc. If your 155x is flued direct to outside through the outside wall of the cupboard, then a good combi would be my suggestion. The gas supply and all services are already in the compartment. Fit a scale reducer and that should serve your needs. Going down the unvented route would require more expenditure, but that is also an option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back