Replacing a radiator with a towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove and replace valves and radiator. If I just take the valves off, presumably water will gush endlessly from the pipes?
What do I do?
Help please!

Sponsored Links
If you have an vented system you could plug the vent pipe and only a minimal amount of water will come out the tails.

Draining down the system or partially draining, depending if the towel rail is in upstairs bathroom.

Al

mielie said:
I need to remove and replace valves and radiator. If I just take the valves off, presumably water will gush endlessly from the pipes?
What do I do?
Help please!

You need to turn off your boiler & possibly isolate cold water main supply depending on wether you have an open vented or sealed system, first of all what have ya got?

Sponsored Links
Al-Glasgow said:
If you have an vented system you could plug the vent pipe and only a minimal amount of water will come out the tails.

And the Feed? :eek:
You must plug/bung BOTH Feed and Expansion (vent) pipes otherwise you'll still flood the place. And only take off one valve at a time and replace before you move onto the next one :!: If you take off both valves the 'vacuum' you have created by bunging the F&E will fail and as soon as you break into the second pipe you'll have yourself an unexpected draindown... not very nice :eek:

If you're unsure which tank is the F&E its 'normally' the smaller one but I have seen systems before where the expansion pipe has fed into the storage tank. To make sure you have bunged the right pipes, try opening one of the valves first to see if it is letting by, if not, you're good to go.

Remember, as Bamber says, turn off the boiler first.

One other thing just as a side note. Some Towel Rails (especially the cheaper ones), don't give as much heat as Radiators. I have been asked to change Towel Rails back to Radiators because people have had them put in and complain the bathroom is cold. If you can, check the BTU's of the Towel Rail and report back. We can give you an idea as to how 'warm' it will be. Mind you, covered in damp towels, anything will struggle! :D

Bamber gaspipe said:
mielie said:
What do I do?
Help please!

You need to turn off your boiler & possibly isolate cold water main supply depending on wether you have an open vented or sealed system, first of all what have ya got?

Thanks Bamber,
How can you tell which is which ? (Vented or sealed) Also I can't find anywhere to drain the system . Nothing on or around the boiler (which dates from 1965) or anywhere else.

Blasphemous said:
Al-Glasgow said:

And the Feed? :eek:
You must plug/bung BOTH Feed and Expansion (vent) pipes otherwise you'll still flood the place. And only take off one valve at a time and replace before you move onto the next one :!: If you take off both valves the 'vacuum' you have created by bunging the F&E will fail and as soon as you break into the second pipe you'll have yourself an unexpected draindown... not very nice :eek:

If you're unsure which tank is the F&E its 'normally' the smaller one but I have seen systems before where the expansion pipe has fed into the storage tank. To make sure you have bunged the right pipes, try opening one of the valves first to see if it is letting by, if not, you're good to go.

Remember, as Bamber says, turn off the boiler first.

One other thing just as a side note. Some Towel Rails (especially the cheaper ones), don't give as much heat as Radiators. I have been asked to change Towel Rails back to Radiators because people have had them put in and complain the bathroom is cold. If you can, check the BTU's of the Towel Rail and report back. We can give you an idea as to how 'warm' it will be. Mind you, covered in damp towels, anything will struggle! :D
Thanks
Where and what are the feed and expansion pipes. I presume they are in the loft.??

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've not been on for a while (job hunting!!!).

Anyway, Yeah the F&E will most likely be in the loft. Probably a Large tank and a smaller one, the smaller one being the F&E... 'Normally' but read my previous reply for advice on checking you've bunged the right tank.

Lets know how you get on.

Blasphemous said:
Sorry for the delay in responding, I've not been on for a while (job hunting!!!).

Anyway, Yeah the F&E will most likely be in the loft. Probably a Large tank and a smaller one, the smaller one being the F&E... 'Normally' but read my previous reply for advice on checking you've bunged the right tank.

Lets know how you get on.

Done it thanks v much

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back