replacing a radiator!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a radiator but would like to know step by step of how to drain the system..

*For some reason I have two tanks up in the loft one big one small no drain cock but I've been told to tie the floats arms to a batten...?

*I have an old boiler with all the lagging round in the airing cupboard, there is a drain valve which i can connect a hose to but, there's also a drain valve on the radiator downstairs which i want to replace...! Which drain valve do I use to drain the system?

many thx

andy

ps I want to impress the wife!! :)

pps...
It's not just the radiator i want to replace but also the vavles..

Sponsored Links
the big tank feeds the secondary circuit, which is the one which give you hot and and cold at the taps, and has a drain on the pipe at the bottom of the cylinder. You don't need to touch any of this to do the rad. The small tank feeds the rads and boiler, so you stop this filling and drain your rad. tHis also empties the boiler so you must turn it off, first.
if the water comes out black you should refill, add some cleanser, eg Fernox/Sentinel and repeat until it's clean. when all done don't forget to add inhibitor at the end.
I wonder why you're changing the rad, you haven't said what the problem is.

Why drain the system if you're just replacing a radiator with a new one?

Simon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back