Replacing a roof fitted with spray foam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of buying a house that has been fitted with the spray foam. Having been warned of the risks by the survey I have had a roofer take a look and provide a quote for re-roofing (ie. strip existing tiles and roof boards, fit breathable felt, re-batten and re-tile).

The existing roof is unfelted with close-boarded (feather-edge) timbers and clay tiles, with foam on the interior. According to the owner the roof boards also had slots cut into them to allow the foam to bond to the tiles.

I've heard that stripping the foam off can be time consuming and expensive. Has anyone had any experience with re-roofing a house that has had spray-foam fitted? Do I need to make any allowance for extra costs?

Sponsored Links
foam torching, noooooooooooooooooooooo. :evil:

shocking stuff.

fortunately i have not had the pleasure of trying to remove tiles, glued down with this shoite.

I can't imagine it's that difficult to remove, I reckon a hacksaw blade slid under the tiles will cut/prise it away. But as it's not standard work for a roofer they'll probably charge you a premium for the hassle. Like sparks that don't like digging trenches, or plumbers who don't like getting out of bed, ;) ;)

Darren, I've been told that the only way to do it is with a long knife and laboriously cut the stuff out.

Did you find a better way?

Regards

Mark

Sponsored Links
I,ve done a couple of roofs sprayed with this foam s**te!

Firstly even replacing 1 plain tile a few weeks ago took me 20 mins trying to break the foam seal and remove tile, should have been less than 20 seconds! Secondly to strip a whole roof with plain tiles- i would never go there again, allow the roofer an extra week or 2 dependant on size of your roof, the tiles will need to be literally smashed off theres no other way if the foam has completely coated the underside of tiles. But saying that yours might not be as bad if your tiles are hung on feather edged boards with only a few slits cut out. Have you received the quote yet? Most people on here have heard and possibly dealt with the foam sh** and know the problems it causes in the first place, i'd steer clear of it!

If you have good access inside it can be cut away from there but takes ages.. and makes a mess..
Skip everything!!!!

Leave it...... get your roof coated by a ISO 9002 coating company. 10 years warranty and the only way to stop porous tiles getting worse. We got our roof re-coated 2 years ago and it still looks great. We had the same issue with previus owners fitting foam. Our chartered surveyor said that it's OK for more insulaton and to stop tiles falling off, but it does not seal the water out above the foam (ie between the foam and the tile surface) and as most tiles (including slate) still get porous in time, the timbers and tiles can keep on getting wetter and wetter. Our coating company (despite being warned off by roofers in DIYnot) were great, very considerate and quick. They were called MPRCC I think. or roof-coaters dot uk etc etc I will pull out the warranty if U like?

Far Canal!!

A coating company came all the way out to you in australia from cheshire uk to coat your roof with paint!

apart from blatant advertising wat a load of bulls*it! :LOL: :LOL:

I did like the picture though on the website of the chap sat on the roof with a pressure washer -was that part of the "sealing" process!

See this is what happens, I had a doctor once that told me that the ache in my foot was not going to heal without surgery, 6 months on a stick and it might come back he said. After talking to a 'wacko magic potion seller' and asking DOC if it might work, (I did not take his advise) but I used a magnetic thingy for two months and not only did the heel heal, the lump has gone and it has not returned in 9 years. Moral of this story:

Never in the mist of time did one 'expert' tell a potential customer that HIS methods were not the only ways to skin that cat . So the day a roofer, plumber,plasterer, stonemason etc etc etc (who 'knows' his method is the only real way) tell anyone that there is an alternative to his way, the world will end and all religion will cease.
Over 1.6 million roof's coated in 19 countries, 7.9 million Oz$ wasted in reasearch, 233 known suppliers all going to pull their hair out, lose their homes and livelyhoods all because to some folk the world will always be flat and the moon made of cheese. :LOL:

Staffy blue plain roofing tiles have been removed and re-used for generations. worth a heck of a lot of money second hand too.

a decent quality clay will last for donkeys years, and can be salvaged and re-used, as can a lot of concrete tiles.

these products are re-usable until..............some complete w**k*r comes along with sprayfoam shoite and ruins a roof.

FFS. :rolleyes: :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back