Replacing a small consumer unit with a double socket in outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I knocked down an old shed from the previous house owner, which housed as small consumer unit connected to sockets and lights. Protected cable is partially buried in the ground and connected to a 32 amp breaker in the consumer unit in the house. Can I replace the old outdoor electrics with a single 16amp double socket? So in short, if the cable is big enough for the breaker, can I run a radial circuit with single double socket or do I need a smaller MCP? I don't want to replace the old cable. Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound right, unless you have a decent sized cable. So some questions, I'm afraid...

What sort of cable is it?
What size - that means the csa of the conductors.

Can I replace the old outdoor electrics with a single 16amp double socket?
Umm, no such thing as a 16amp socket, at least, not in domestic use..

Sorry, typo. 13amp socket of course.

Cable looks like a 3 core 10mm SWA to me (PVC sheathing). See picture.
IMG_2212.jpeg

You mean its a 3core cable with an approx 10mm overall diameter?

You can find specification tables on manufacturer websites https://www.doncastercables.com/cab...ded-and-Sheathed--Steel-Wire-Armoured-Cables/ But even 1.5mm² 3core is shown as being 11.9mm in diameter. So if you want to size it that way you'd have to swap the tape for a pair of verniers

Have a look to see if the size is embosed on the side, or look at the cores (if you are able to visually guage them)

Sponsored Links
You mean its a 3core cable with an approx 10mm overall diameter?
He clearly does.
You can find specification tables on manufacturer websites https://www.doncastercables.com/cab...ded-and-Sheathed--Steel-Wire-Armoured-Cables/ But even 1.5mm² 3core is shown as being 11.9mm in diameter.
In fact, the first one I looked at says 12.17mm. Given that SWA less that 1.5mm² seems rare (does it exist at all?) I would guess that the cable (assuming that it IS SWA) must be 1.5mm² (and certainly no bigger) - and, if so, the house breaker protecting it would have to be reduced to less than 32A.

Indeed, even if it's not SWA, I doubt it is any bigger than 2.5mm², so the 32A breaker would still be too high a rating.

I reckon it looks more like NYY and with the parallax in the picture could potentially be 3C 1.5 or 2.5mm²

Is that a 5 I see or baSec?

1713470574311.png

If it was a 2.5 feeding one double socket it would be the equivalent of an unfused spur. Otherwise the MCB would have to be changed.

If it was a 2.5 feeding one double socket it would be the equivalent of an unfused spur. Otherwise the MCB would have to be changed.
Yes, electrically-speaking it would be no different from feeding just one double socket (i.e. max of 2 x 13A downstream fuse) with a 2.5 mm² unfused spur from a 32A ring final (or a 2.5 mm² unfused branch from a 32a radial).

However, although I'm not sure that they would/could 'code' it, I suspect that the eyebrows of an EICR inspector would probably rise if they came across a "2.5 mm² radial circuit" protected by a 32A MCB, even if it was currently only supplying one double socket - presumably on the basis that it was far from impossible that the circuit would get 'extended' (by additional of further sockets/whatever) in the future.

As always, one can debate to extent to which one needs to anticipate ('non-compliant') things which "might happen in the future" - but the situation we are considering could at least produce some 'hassle'!

Spurs may originate at the source of the circuit (the MCB) but with no ring and only a spur it's a grey area and there's not really a reason to keep the B32.

Anyone who extends a 2.5 mm2 radial protected by a B32 clearly isn't competent though, so I'm not sure we need to take that possibility into consideration.

Spurs may originate at the source of the circuit (the MCB) but with no ring and only a spur it's a grey area ...
It probably shouldn't be but, as I said, it could be regarded as a 'grey area' (or worse!) by an EICR inspector!
Anyone who extends a 2.5 mm2 radial protected by a B32 clearly isn't competent though, so I'm not sure we need to take that possibility into consideration.
Yes. The future is totally irrelevant.
As I implied, I agree that 'what may happen in the future' should be irrelevant - but, as I've said, that does not guarantee that, say, an EICR inspector will not make a fuss about it - and I tend to favour 'a quiet life' :)

In any event, considering just the 'now', I see no reason why the MCB should not be reduced to 25A (if available), or even 20A - and, even if it's 1.5 mm² cable, that would (certainly with a 20A MCB, even a 25A one with 2.5 mm² cable) 'keep everyone happy and fuss-free' :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back