Replacing an ancient WBosch with Vokera, looking for advice

Thanks for the replies guys had a new guy out today.
He fired up the boiler and played about with the little sensor at the end of the divertor valve and managed to get it to fire up with a screw driver. But no-matter what he tried he couldn't get the divertor valve to trip the switch on it's own.
Result is pricing up a new divertor valve tomorrow for me.
I also mentioned that the boiler needed constant topping up.
Topped up the pressure to 2 bar and then he fired it up for 20 mins. He said that the pressure should remain relatively stable, it didn't. Water started dripping from the overflow.
New expansion vessel being quoted tomorrow as well.

Much, much happier with this guy. He really knew what he was talking about and explained everything to me. I got the impression the previous guy had no idea what he was doing and just simply wanted to sell me a new boiler! He never tried to even play around with the divertor valve, Just said that it had gone with no explanation.
He offered no response when I asked him about the system losing water. Just said there'll be a leak somewhere in the radiator system.

Many thanks for keeping me straight!!
Cheers

Sponsored Links
He really knew what he was talking about and explained everything to me. I got the impression the previous guy had no idea what he was doing and just simply wanted to sell me a new boiler!

Any fool can fling a boiler on the wall and make it work, count yourself lucky you didn't go ahead with him, as he probably would have botched your new boiler.

Greatscot.... your confused by belter comment . obviously not a football fan then glasgowgas put gers scarves up and tells you to try mr Lafferty did you not watch the game.
Or being a haddie choker you where probably saving on electricity ;)

Greatscot.... your confused by belter comment . obviously not a football fan then glasgowgas put gers scarves up and tells you to try mr Lafferty did you not watch the game.
Or being a haddie choker you where probably saving on electricity ;)

or chasing sheep

"hey McLeod get aff a ma ewe"

Sponsored Links
Aberdonian prostitute was giving blowies for nothing in the winter just to get something warm in her belly

Now now glasgowgas, less off the sheep comments please!

I'm usually the one that dishes them out. Aberdeen is my place of residence just now but originally from the central belt.

With you on Lafferty now(quick eh?), The scarve didn't come up on my comp, it was blocked. Doesn't really matter now with another title under the belt.
Stroll on the gers!!!

"hey McLeod get aff a ma ewe"

Now that's a belter! :D I will remember that!

a sense of humour can get us all through a hard day

been nearly a week, how are you getting on, got your parts fitted onto
the boiler?

its always good to hear updates

Oddly mine 230i has done the same as you but over the last 3 year
Micro switch on divertor went causing no power to switch on boiler on hot water demand ( about £3) one clip
Replaced Diaphragm in Divertor ( about £15) 6 screws
new expansion vessel ( about £60)

Nothing was hard to do I just went to my local plumbers and he matched up stuff to suit.

Like THE PRV assembly is a BW part but the actual valve can be removed and a £5 part fitted.

Have a look on Worcesters web site as the is the installers manual which has saved me a forture especially after a "service" by official enginneer it promtly failed to work the next time we went to use it DOH

Topped up the pressure to 2 bar and then he fired it up for 20 mins. He said that the pressure should remain relatively stable, it didn't. Water started dripping from the overflow.
New expansion vessel being quoted tomorrow as well.

If water is coming out the over flow surly that is the PRV leaking not the expansion vessel???

Mine vessel went I had no leakage , pressure drop. But a bodge was enforced to get me through after topping up there was nowhere left for the pressure to go when the boiler was on.
As the water leaked into the NO2? filled side causing the pressure drop.
I fitted a pump adaptor to the vessel drained the water from here then just pumped it up with a foot pump.
Was prehaps not the correct thing to do but with the small kids and at the time no money got me through the month till a new one was purchased.

Update is, boiler is now firing up fine.
How water is running fine and fires up without the heating being on.

He fitted the new pressure cylinder, divertor valve and replaced the wee thermostat wheel that controls the radiator temp.
He serviced the boiler as well and reckons the fan is working ok but will go eventually, as it is as cheap as chips, he's coming back to fit it when the part comes in. It's worth it, rather than me getting a call from my tenants in mid January asking me to get the boiler fixed at short notice.

So all in all think that's most of the components in the boiler replaced!!
The gas valve was changed out a couple of years ago.

He thought it was an absolute nonsense that the other guy was going to replace the boiler. He reckons my boiler is in very good nick now and should be good for another five years.

Update is, boiler is now firing up fine.
How water is running fine and fires up without the heating being on.

He fitted the new pressure cylinder, divertor valve and replaced the wee thermostat wheel that controls the radiator temp.
He serviced the boiler as well and reckons the fan is working ok but will go eventually, as it is as cheap as chips, he's coming back to fit it when the part comes in. It's worth it, rather than me getting a call from my tenants in mid January asking me to get the boiler fixed at short notice.

So all in all think that's most of the components in the boiler replaced!!
The gas valve was changed out a couple of years ago.

He thought it was an absolute nonsense that the other guy was going to replace the boiler. He reckons my boiler is in very good nick now and should be good for another five years.

View media item 11790

He serviced the boiler as well and reckons the fan is working ok but will go eventually, as it is as cheap as chips, he's coming back to fit it when

I would have just replaced the diaphragm in the diverter valve at a total cost including a service of £106 in our local area.

The expansion vessel may well just have needed repressurising rather than replacing.

I dont know what chips cost in Scotland but I would be surprised if the fan is less than £70. I would have lubricated the fan for free and if it failed within a few months replaced it then just for the retail cost of the part.

In fact the mean landlords in London only want the absolute minimum done to keep the boiler working. There is even one who does not get boilers repaired until the tenants have stopped paying their rent.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back