replacing an external 40mm door with 44mm door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
i need some advice on replacing a rotten 40mm external door. I cannot afford to buy a new door and have very limited funds. I acquired an old door from across the road as someone was having a new plastic door fitted. I measured it up to make sure it would fit and it will after some cutting down. I forgot to measure the thickness ( DIY is not really my thing ) It is 44mm thick and the old door is 40mm thick. The old door sits flush at the moment but i think the door frame is probably 44mm deep as there is a brush type door insulation fitted. I want to keep this insulation in place if possible. Is this replacement going to look ok or are there too many issues for it to work properly. What are the things i need to take into consideration. The replacement door also seems to be much heavier ( both doors are hardwood mahogany ) and i am really struggling to even move it around.
thanks
darrell

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply and advice, decisions, decisions!!!!!!
darrell

Im sure you could work around it.

You could pin some thin wood around to get the frame flush.

Or you could remove the draught seal and fit the face mounted type after.

Or you could fit some new stops with a seal on them.

Dont forget you will need to cut a rebate in the bottom.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply Notch7?
on the hinge side there is no space to do anything as the bottom hinges have tiles butted up to the existing hinge.
would a thicker door that comes out an extra 3mm cause a problem with the siting of these 2 lower hinges?
is the face mounted seal thinner than the brush type to allow the door to fit flush?
why would i need to cut rebate?
i am pretty much a novice when it comes to diy and want to make sure if i try to do this myself that i do not come a cropper half way through the job.
thanks again
darrell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back