Replacing an old electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wondering if someone can help me

Our old electric shower has just died (looking under the cover, it seems water had been seeping in and has corroded the connections)
It looks very old, so we'd like to do a straight replacement.

Its 8.5Kw and has an isolation (red) switch on the wall outside the bathroom.

Question is, can I simply buy a new 8.5Kw shower (any brand) and do a straight replacement onto the existing set up?

Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
If it fits yes but as this was instaled some time ago and regulations have changed, best to have the installation checked, re bonding etc.
Regulation 130-07-01 requires that an assement is made of earthing arrangements prior to alterrations being carried out (paraphrased).

Qedelec said:
If it fits yes but as this was instaled some time ago and regulations have changed, best to have the installation checked, re bonding etc.
Regulation 130-07-01 requires that an assement is made of earthing arrangements prior to alterrations being carried out (paraphrased).

Thankyou for the prompt response!

I would estimate that the shower was installed in the 80's sometime, so rather dated! Any idea what the earthing arrangements would need to be? The shower does appear to be earthed at all connections

Chances are your bathroom bonding might be none existant and your main bonding may be undersized

Sponsored Links
and you are assuming that this was an 8.5KW installed correctly and if so all well and good, but, from experience, it may well be that the original was say a 6KW shower on 4.0 mm cable that has since been changed to a 7.0KW then 8.5KW without any regard to uprating cables. Unforntunately this scenario happens frequently I`m afraid.
Never assume existing is OK then you can change like for like.
Therefore get it checked by some competent person

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back