REPLACING BASIN TAPS, NEW THREAD IS LONGER, PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE THE TAPS ON THE BASIN IN OUR DOWNSTAIRS TOILET, BUT THE OLD ONES HAVE A REALLY SHORT THREAD. I WAS TOLD BY THE PREVIOUS OWNER THAT THE PLUMBER DID THIS TO KEEP UNSIGHLTY PIPEWORK OUT OF VIEW. I HAVE MEASURED THE THREADS ON 4 OR 5 DIFFERENT TAPS IN B&Q AND THEY ALL SEEM TO BE 50MM. IS THIS A STANDARD SIZE. THE THREADS ON THE OLD ONES ARE ABOUT 30MM. HOW WOULD I GET THE NEW ONES TO FIT WITHOUT HAVING TO ALTER PIPEWORK. I WOULD CUT THE THREAD BUT WORRY THAT I WON'T BE ABLE TO THREAD ON THE COMPRESSION FITTING THUS WASTING A PAIR OF TAPS. IS THERE A CERTAIN WAY OF DOING IT. THIS IS MY VERY FIRST POST AND WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP. THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Cut with a hack saw & file the rough edges. If you have a vice to hold the tap, it shouldnt be a problem

Also

Turn your CAPS OFF.

when cutting anything with a thread on it, like this, screw a nut onto the thread before you start. If the thread gets damaged by your cutting or filing, when you unscrew the nut later, it will press the thread back to shape.

It can be difficult to start screwing a nut ONTO a damaged thread, but is easy to screw if OFF.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back