Replacing basin waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I installed a new sink in my bathroom and used the waste which came with the tap. It leaks between the unglazed underneath and the rubber seal. Rather than mess about with silicone I want to replace the waste with one which has a tapered seal which sits underneath.

As the plug hole has been siliconed in place, I may need to change it to the new one, how best am I to break that seal between the plug hole and the basin glazed finish?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just swap the under parts (nut and washer) with a basin mate seal kit (larger tapered rubber washer, plastic washer and nut).

But to break the sealant isn't difficult at all. Wiggle-waggle and twist is all that's needed, usually (use thick gloves, the threads are sharp).

I'm hoping I can just swap the under sink parts, but if the plug hole needs a recentre, then I'll have to get it off.

Silicone isn't the strongest of materials, but if you undo the retaining nut carefully and avoid disturbing the waste, then a Basin mate should just fit straight on with a bit of persuasion. Ensure mating faces underneath are clean before fitting the cone washer.

Sponsored Links

i have used the screwfix one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back