Replacing bath - water connections

What type of external stopcock is it ? You can buy a street key for a few quid. Do you have a water meter externally ?

Sponsored Links
Go take a look ,it may just have a handle like a garden tap.
What provides your hot water ,combi boiler,hot water cylinder ?

Sponsored Links
Is bathroom upstairs ?
How much flow does the internal stopcock allow to pass ,is it a dribble or stronger ?

Is bathroom upstairs ?
How much flow does the internal stopcock allow to pass ,is it a dribble or stronger ?
It's about a quarter flow. If I leave downstairs and basin tap on upstairs I might get away with it.

Just checked stopcock in street. I'm bewildered. It's filled with concrete!!!!!

1000042762.jpg

1000042764.jpg
1000042765.jpg
1000042764.jpg

Scrapped all the soil out to find set concrete. Checked a neighbours and couldn't get down to tap on hers.

They dug the street up a while ago for new houses opposite, hence black tarmac on what was red street. Looks like they've filled mine up when they reset the stopcock

The basin is higher than the bath ,so no benefit.
Turn electric off to boiler and run downstairs hot and cold taps on full. That should reduce flow to bath cold enough for you to remove Flexi and fit isolator,working quickly !!

The basin is higher than the bath ,so no benefit.
Turn electric off to boiler and run downstairs hot and cold taps on full. That should reduce flow to bath cold enough for you to remove Flexi and fit isolator,working quickly !!
Just turned on basin with downstairs tap on and no water comes out.

Is that likely to be a 15mm pipe? Don't want to dismantle then find wrong size.

This house!!!!

Basin tap dry is a good sign, however the bath pipes are much lower ,and water pressure may reach them ,hopefully not.
It's hard to tell pipe size from a picture, compare the size of the nuts. I would be surprised if the smaller pipe wasn't 15mm ,or half inch if imperial ( Both compatible with 15 mm compression fitting using 15mm olive)

Couldn't fit an isolation valve like I wanted to because I couldn't get the correct fitting. If I swap the bath next weekend I'll look to fit them then. But at least the leaking tail is replaced.
1000042770.jpg

The isolation valve In your pic should fit ok ? Was the issue that there was a little too much copper pipe ( after the olive) ,so when the pipe was inserted into the isolation valve the olive didn't reach the valve ,and nor did the compression nut ? Was that the issue ?

The isolation valve In your pic should fit ok ? Was the issue that there was a little too much copper pipe ( after the olive) ,so when the pipe was inserted into the isolation valve the olive didn't reach the valve ,and nor did the compression nut ? Was that the issue ?
The isolation valve had a flat face male end, and the flexi has a male end too. New flexi fit existing olive perfectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back