Replacing bath - water connections

The isolation valve had a flat face male end, and the flexi has a male end too. New flexi fit existing olive perfectly.
Ah ,I see that now ,didn't notice it had a flat face when first viewed that pic.
Am I likely to end up in an argument with water company about the stop tap being filled with concrete?
Water companies can be very helpful ,or a pain in the rear.
The street stopcock is around 18 inches down ,You could try hacking away at whatever is blocking it ,it may not be very deep.
Failing that contact your water supplier .Asking them to fit a water meter would be free of charge ,and give you a new stopcock too. Unless you have high water useage ,it may even save you a few quid !

Sponsored Links
The water company have been and cleared the concrete on the external stop tap.

Asked a plumber for a price for replacing stopcock in house, he suggested he'd fit a new one above existing one. Sometimes it feels like the current one weeps, I'm not too keen on this approach. When I told him this he hasn't bothered replying.

Sponsored Links
Now that you can isolate supply outside , I assumed you would sort out bath taps ,why not fit the new stopcock internally yourself ?
Show us a pic of internal stopcock.

The stopcock is only slightly reducing the water flow coming into the house.

Now you have a working external stopcock you can fix the internal one at your leisure. I had the same problem and it turned out that the washer had disintegrated.

Turn off the outside stopcock. Remove the guts of the internal stopcock using a spanner and check the washer. Grease everything with silicone grease and refit.

Now that you can isolate supply outside , I assumed you would sort out bath taps ,why not fit the new stopcock internally yourself ?
Show us a pic of internal stopcock.
Going to replace the bath this coming Friday.

The stopcock is at the back of a cupboard switch has a removable back in it. Looks like it's embedded in concrete.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231217_184250_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231217_184250_Gallery.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 28
Now you have a working external stopcock you can fix the internal one at your leisure. I had the same problem and it turned out that the washer had disintegrated.

Turn off the outside stopcock. Remove the guts of the internal stopcock using a spanner and check the washer. Grease everything with silicone grease and refit.
I did contemplate taking the valve out but knowing my luck it'll disintegrate and I'll not get it back together.

I would leave that stopcock alone ,and fit a new one just above it

Yes ,or in a more convenient place above it ,and before any branches,if there is such a place.

When I change the bath I want to fit isolator valves. If I put a valve on the end of the current ¾" pipe and then run a short length further along wall, can it be reduced to 15mm given it's supplied by a combi or should it stay at ¾/ 22mm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back