Replacing bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hope this isn't repeating a questions that anyone else has asked, but I couldn't find an answer to my question anywhere.

I am just about to replace our bathroom (new suite, tiles, flooring etc.) and once the old suite has come out and the tiles are off the wall the first job will be to replace the floor. It is floor boards at the moment, but they are a bit of a mess with some big holes due to removal of the old toilet and an airing cupboard.

Question is, what's the best thing to replace the floorboards with? I've not seen many complimentary things about chipboard, although this is a cheap option, and most posts seems to suggest plywood on top for tiling.

My inclination is to go for 18mm plywood (WBP?) - is this usual?

We're most probably going to put vinyl flooring on top.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Joe

Sponsored Links
joe - never use chipboard in a bathroom 'cos if it gets wet it'll disintegrate. 18mm exterior (WBP) is the way to go for a replacement; screw this down and ensure that any joins between the ply is directly above your joists. This ensures the adjacent ply edges don't flex when being walked on. Any joins at right-angles to the joists must be supported by noggins (3" x 2" or bigger studding) fixed to the joists. Actually, there isn't a huge price difference between chipboard v ply.

Always worth having a look under there to see what wiring and pipes may need to be accessed one day. If you tile over ply that is screwed to the joists, you ain't gettin in there in a hurry. Make sure in an emergency you can access important pipes from below or from behind the bath panel.

Sponsored Links
joe - Bloggsy makes a valid point about pipe runs, etc. but generally if the floor's tiled and you then need access below it'll have to come-up anyway. Actually, the acceptable way of gaining access to leaking pipework, etc., when you don't want to disturb a tiled floor above is to go up ... through the ceiling below. Carefully done and correctly reinstated means you'd never seen the ceiling repair (it also cheaper than re-tiling).

You're going to lay vinyl on your floor so before you do, mark any below- floor pipe and cable runs onto the surface of the ply with a thick black permanent marker pen. This'll remind you, and those who follow, where the 'accidents waiting to happen' are located.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back