Replacing Baxi Bermuda 552 with new boiler in garage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a Baxi Bermuda 552 in a downstairs chimney breast with the firefront.

I want to replace it with a new Condensing Boiler in the garage that is attached to the house. The existing timer controls are in the airing cupboard in the first floor that also houses the cylinder and pump.

Could anyone advise on the following questions :

# Can we use our existing timer and room thermostat controls ?

# Can we use our existing cylinder ?

# Can we use our existing rads & pipework ?

# Can the boiler be sited on the shared wall (between house and garage) and vent out of the garage roof ? Or does it need an external wall ?

# Anything else to consider about siting in the garage ?

Our Baxi really needs replacing, it's a pig to get at and I want to get something a bit more efficient and get rid of the old firefront - replace it with some thing a bit more contemporary (probably electric).

I'd like to keep costs as low as possible, and re-use what we currently have in terms of rads and pipework, tanks, etc. It's all working fine at the moment.

Would I basically be able to run the existing pipework to the garage ? (must be all of an extra 2 metres)

Sponsored Links
What does your installer say about your questions??

Hi, nothing as yet, I'm still investigating whether this is a feasible idea or not. Save wasting anyones time visiting if it's a definite no-no on a garage install on existing pipework.

Normally existing components can be re-used!

Not always recommended though!

Your main problem is flue terminal position with regards to house wall!

Also many installers will not go through a flat roof due to sealing problems!

With flueing options available it is nearly always possible to terminate through wall!!

Sponsored Links
Providing all your existing is ok then there is no need to change it, other than pipework alteration to new position and to make fully pumped if it is an old gravity system rad valves will also need changing to thermostatic if the flue goes out flat roof it must be at least 300mm from an adajcent wall

Cheers,

Existing pipework seems ok, just recently had it all flushed through, the rads all looked ok as well.

Yes, it is fully pumped, Grundfos Selectronic 3 speed, open vented system, so I'll keep all the tanks, etc, as the system is working fine and provides for our needs quite happily. I also *almost* understand how it works, which is pretty valuable if we get any problems.

The garage itself has an external wall on the opposite side, so if necessary I could have a slightly longer pipe run and vent it out through the external wall I guess.

It will make such a difference not having the boiler in the living room, I will be able to redecorate, box in the chimney and mount my LCD tv on the wall above where the fire / boiler used to be. And no more noise from it firing up.

Last question, would it be advisable to remove the existing concreted in gas pipe run from the meter to the boiler and use the 'gully' for extending the CH pipework to the boiler, or would it be ok to cap it off where the old boiler would be removed ? (I am thinking the former option is safer)

Cheers !

Cap it by boiler then its always there for WHEN the wife changes her mind and wants a fire back in.
One of best no nonsence boilers you can get for what you are doing is the Ideal classic(also badged as an optia from plumb centre) it is band B but tiny saving that a band A boiler will give you will be lost in repairs and inconvience

Thanks for the replies, now for the shock of getting some quotes in.

Any suggestions other than the Ideal as to a decent boiler make? From what I've found out, the Baxi is ~15kw ? (Correct me if I'm wrong). So perhaps something around 18kw ?

I've downloaded the manuals for the Ideal range and it looks ok.

Whatever you do, do not go for any of the Ideal Icos or Isar range :eek:

I have been a Vaillant installer up till now with no problems from them, but I am now (stop laughing everyone) considering going back to Baxi (got offered excellent package:cool: :LOL: ).

Vaillant are excellent products, but I am totally peed off with the company and support now Glow Worm are handling it.

Whatever you do, do not go for any of the Ideal Icos or Isar range :eek:

I was looking at the Ideal Classic HE 18Kw model - that's got the Cast Iron exchanger in and is an older design I believe? Also seems to have a good amount of flue options, inc a flat roof one.

Is that one decent enough?

Strangley enough I just fitted a Plumb Center Optia 12 HE this week, which is a classic HE at a lot better price.

I was quite impressed by its simplicity and old fashioned ease of fitting and commissioning.

Have a look at the Optia 18HE ;)

Dave you suprise me did not know optia about a hundred quid chearer than classic. I would love anybody to show me a more reliable or proven boiler

It was for a customer who is selling their house and the old boiler failed.

They obviously didn't want to spend a fortune, so this was the best option I could come up with.

I was quite impressed all round, especially as it is only about 3% less efficient than an 'A' rated equivalent, coupled with a basic L N & E wiring connection, made installation simplicity in its self.

Made me wonder what all the fuss is about in fitting 'A' rated boilers.

As you say, a reliable classic design, (improved as well) that should last a lot longer than the new carp that we are all led to fit ;)

Gumf from energy efficeincy trust //// there is no proof that a band B boiler is any less efficent than a band A.... There words not mine and when you think how long a boiler actually condences probably true.

By way dont follow MFI flue can be put on without dismantling inner flue hood etc then use a jug full of water and syphon it in with gauge tube through flue outlet duct

Hi all,

thanks for all the info. I've now had a quote, they can use my existing rads, controls and site the new boiler ok in the garage with flue through the roof.

The chap hasn't been too impressed with the Ideal range in the past and has suggested a 7-18Kw Vaillant ecotec plus 618 Modulating condensing boiler - sounds ok to me, by my dodgy maths 18kw should be ample for us - that boiler sound ok ?

I'm pretty pleased with the quote, it comes in @ £2k inc vat & parts & removal of old boiler & firefront. Sounds good to me :)

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back