Replacing Cast Iron stack with plastic...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all (again),

Following on from my previous post, I've managed to talk the customer around to replacing the cast iron stack with PVC.

I intend to cut the CI down in sections (1m or less at a time) using an angle grinder and a claw hammer. Even thinking of supporting the section I'm cutting with a ratchet strap just to be extra carful!!

I suppose what I'm after is some top tips for replacing a CI stack as this is my first attempt, all advice welcomed,
Cheers
Alex

Sponsored Links
tip 1 its heavy cut it into managable sections 2 days on the job is better than a week on your back ;)

tip 2 dont rely on the old fixings(when you get them off you will see why) a strap is a good idea make sure its well anchored ;)

Cut a slot into the bottom of the stack and slide a piece of ply into it,stops any bit falling into the drain.

Oh yeah, it's always better to get two peoiple doing it, up two ladders, the last one I did took an hour, they are [pretty simple to get down.

Strictly speaking a scaffold tower should be used, but in the real world.........

thanks gents, will definately use the plywood technique.

got a lad to come and help me anyway, so hopefully wont break to much of a sweat :LOL:

Sponsored Links
quick question -

i need to put on a weather collar to sit ontop of the conservatory roof - but I cant find an angled collar (about 45degrees) in PVC. I COULD boss and dress one out of sheet lead, but good god I can't be arsed with that!

Any suggestions? :LOL:

Yep, that's what i often use, then pop a chinamans hat on top of it glued with solvent. or is that not P.C? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back