Replacing ceiling and window board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please could I have some friendly advice on this issue. Don’t to go fully into the ins and outs but it looks like I’m going to need to pull down a ceiling and re board. It’ll be approx 60mm loser so should be ok.

My question is... is it ok to have just the ceiling plastered as there’ll be no skrim between the ceiling and walls?

Secondly, how easy is it for a joiner to replace a window board? It’s just a modern white bullnose mdf board. It’s plastered into the window so just wondered if a new one could replace it or does all of the old one have to come out for the new one?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Either cut the finish 150mm from the top of the walls tape and path the walls with easi-fill...which can be sanded to blend in.
Use flexible caulk on the junction...no guarantee, or fit coving.

The window board can be cut and fitted without interfering with the plaster.

Necessary to prevent cracks forming at the junction.
Flexible caulk may or may not prevent it depending on how much differential movement you have between the two.

Sponsored Links
its not always necesary to tape or scrim the corner. we re-board lots of times and just skim up to the wall and it works good.

best practice is to cut back about 75mm down at the wall and use rag scrim or whats sold as hessian scrim to tape the inside corner. its a very solid traditional way.
iff you do hack out then use a chalk line to give a straight edge to work to.
problem is hacking out takes time and can ruins the decorations

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back