Replacing ceiling light with 5 recessed spots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could any one out there put my mind at rest and answer my query.
I wish to replace my existing single ceiling light with 5 mains halogen spots.
Can i run them all on a circuit from the original rose, wiring each one into the next, also each spot light only has two terminals for the wire 'in'.
I trust that because they are low voltage and the ceiling rose is already earthed that they don't need an earth wire.
Is it OK to double up the wires to each terminal to carry on the circuit to the next spotlight until all 5 are wired up.
Look forward to any comments!.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
it'd look a bit odd keeping the rose on the ceiling.

Technically, mains voltage is low voltage. Do you mean ELV?

i'll be very very quiet from now on . . . . :oops:

but you all know what i mean :evil: i was using the term low voltage to describe SELV lights, since it was the same terminology used by the OP and i doubt he would know what SELV meant.

crafty1289 said:

but you all know what i mean :evil: i was using the term low voltage to describe SELV lights, since it was the same terminology used by the OP and i doubt he would know what SELV meant.

You've no place on this forum if you can't be pedantic and harsh. :evil: :LOL:

slippyr4 said:
crafty1289 said:

You've no place on this forum if you can't be pedantic and harsh. :evil: :LOL:
so i have learnt over time. mostly from ban's posts. ;)

crafty1289 said:

Since it was the OP who said:
5 mains halogen spots.
and then also said:
I trust that because they are low voltage

it looks as though he does know the terminology, and it's you that we're poking fun at (in a friendly stylee, of course).

i took the OP to be a DIYer with limited knowledge of electrics, therefore when he said low voltage, this is generally DIY talk for ELV, 12 volts. mains voltage is DIY talk for 220-240volts AC.

And by saying the lights are low voltage and therefore may not need earthing, this was when i figured he meant 12 volts for low voltage. :rolleyes:

crafty1289 said:
i took the OP to be a DIYer with limited knowledge of electrics, therefore when he said low voltage, this is generally DIY talk for ELV, 12 volts. mains voltage is DIY talk for 220-240volts AC.

And by saying the lights are low voltage and therefore may not need earthing, this was when i figured he meant 12 volts for low voltage. :rolleyes:

The fact that it is ELV does not mean that it does not need earthing.

If the housing it metal and not double insulated (two squares), it might need earthing, look for the manufacturer instructions.

Just installed few downlights and had to connect earth.
Not less important check that the wire size is the correct one for the load.

Depends on wether the transformer is a SELV source, if it is SELV then the ELV light fittings don't require earthing. Like Albert says, check the manufacturers instructions.

Oh my god, i did'nt expect a major debate.......on the subject but your comments are much appreciated!
I just wanted to be reassured what i'm doing is is correct, before i go ahead and wire them up, i kind of know what i doing honest!??
For speed, I was thinking of replacing the wire for the down light with the wiring for the chain, then replacing the cover of the ceiling rose and concealing it in the void above the ceiling.
The Halogens don't have a transformer but have a concealed insulated box covering for the connections.
I am slightly afraid to find out what you all think, but looking for to your comments.

maverick said:
I wish to replace my existing single ceiling light with 5 mains halogen spots.
Can i run them all on a circuit from the original rose, wiring each one into the next, also each spot light only has two terminals for the wire 'in'.
Providing there is adequate capacity on the lighting circuit I don't see another electrical problem other than the limitations of the terminals.
I trust that because they are low voltage and the ceiling rose is already earthed that they don't need an earth wire.
No, as these are mains voltage you should run and terminate an earth at each light fitting (into a spare piece of terminal block if the earth is not required.) See manufacturers instructions to see if an earth bond is required to each fitting. The earth should be available if you so choose to replace the fittings later.
Is it OK to double up the wires to each terminal to carry on the circuit to the next spotlight until all 5 are wired up.
Providing there is capacity and the terminals are adequately rated, yes.
For speed, I was thinking of replacing the wire for the down light with the wiring for the chain, then replacing the cover of the ceiling rose and concealing it in the void above the ceiling.
As long as the location is accessable, I would replace it with a junction / terminal block box. What type/size of wire are you using?

I used .75 mm, two core cable. the terminals were more than adequate to double up the wiring to daisy-chain the spots.
As the ceiling rose is on a loop and connected to a switch i did'nt fancy messing with the circuit by replacing it with a junction box.
All seems to be working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back