Replacing Cloakroom Radiator for Towel Rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to replace the existing radiator in the downstairs wc for a heated towel rail (of equivalent BTUs) connected to the central heating. I've got a couple of questions....

-What width towel would be the easiest to install?

The existing radiator is 400mm wide but the plumbing pipes are actually 500mm apart (angled valves are fitted). I'd like a 500mm wide one if possible but don't want the install to be complicated.

-What are the best valves to use here?

I think towel rails typically use straight valves. The plumbing already installed is microbore, 8mm I think. Do I need to get some kind of converter to help with the size difference? The pipes come out of the wall (not floor) and I'd rather not disturb the plasterwork.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
All I can say is, resist the temptation. Towel rails look good but do not put out much heat.

Thanks - I appreciate your advice however I'd like to try it. I'm going to get one that is very tall and should be ok for this small room. I'd just like to know how best to go about the installation. If it's that bad, I'm going to keep the old radiator and can switch back. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Get an electric towel radiator, I took my water one out of the cloakroom & replaced with electric. Well pleased

You can go for a rail as wide as you want really... Where the tails come out of the wall, you can extend them left and right to line up with the towel rail entries and then either go up and in with straight valves or horizontally left and right and directly into bent valves.

Thanks. I don't really want to go down the electric route but want to connect to the central heating.

So if I got a 500mm wide unit with straight valves, this would be ok? What about having microbore pipework?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

That link is a trv...isn't it?
Danfoss DANFOSS 15/10/8MM RAS-D2 STR TRV CHROME (danfoss: 013G601400)

You've got a TRV there now so it'll be fine to include a new one.

When choosing valves you need to make sure the connection to the existing pipe work is 8mm and 15mm after the valve.

Bare in mind also that a 500mm wide towel radiator doesn't have 500mm pipe centres. Typically it would have 450mm centres. Measure the exact distance from the centres of your existing pipework and choose a rad that matches these measures as centres not the width of the rad.

Unless of course you want to alter pipes.

You've got a TRV there now so it'll be fine to include a new one.

When choosing valves you need to make sure the connection to the existing pipe work is 8mm and 15mm after the valve.

Bare in mind also that a 500mm wide towel radiator doesn't have 500mm pipe centres. Typically it would have 450mm centres. Measure the exact distance from the centres of your existing pipework and choose a rad that matches these measures as centres not the width of the rad.

Unless of course you want to alter pipes.

Ah, good point. The pipe centres are 490mm - I've had a quick look and can't seem to find a rail that matches this, so perhaps the pipework will need changing..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back