Replacing drainage + paving no concrete (guidance / corrections apreciated)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heya guys,

Outside my back door, I have some old bad paving, and a drain from the roof/kitchen which appears to have (due to a dip in the ground) a possibly collapsed clay pipe (the water fills up and overflows).
So may plan: pull up the existing paving, replace the drain with a plastic bottle gully, replace any pipe that needs it (and ensure it's falling well) and put new paving on top.
The patio/paving outside is a little like an "L" shape, the house like a rotated L, and there is a fence put up (with a few layers of an old brick wall underneath) about 1.25 m opposite the back door - so edge bands aren't required / an issue.

I haven't pulled up anything yet - I'm still in the planning phase.
My rough plan is:
1) Pull up a few slabs + size up the pipes to get the right parts
2) Pull up the rest of the slabs (I don't know what they are on - probably just soil)
3) Take out old pipe a bit - check the slope + replace if necessary
4) Put new pipe in and connect to bottle gully - also put in a trench/channel drain (aco) along the fence side (this will be where the patio will slope to) and connect that up.
5) Put in shingle to level + cover the pipes - tamp it down and repeat till level.
6) Do I need to put down some sort of aggregate layer + tamp that down?
7) Put on bedding sand
- this part I don't know how to stop the sand disappearing into the shingle? Should I maybe put weed matting down before bedding sand here?
- how deep should this sand be?

8) Put new paving slabs down on the bedding sand
9) Put Polymetric sand down + brush + tamp into the paving joints and water and clean as instructed

As you see, the 6 and 7 points are the real questions here.
Since I'm not doing any concrete pouring, I'm wondering if the aggregate layer is needed (or if shingle is suitable here), and then bedding sand I don't know how that doesn't sink down through the shingle used and cause any voids etc.

The types of guides I see mainly either deal with paving (which does weed matt-aggregate-sand-slabs) or drainage (which has shingle-cement).. but nothing that doesn't use cement.
Any help would be really apreciated!

--
Old486whizz

Sponsored Links
Pea gravel around drainage pipes.
The few slabs by my front door which also has drainage pipes under just has pea gravel.. Been these over 15 years...

Normally pea gravel around drainage pipe.
Type one over
Sharp sand
Slabs...

If a bit shallow then pea gravel..
Membrane
Sand
Slabs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back