Replacing electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a Hygena single electric oven (2.2KW) with a 2nd hand Belling single electric oven (2.3KW) that has been fitted with a 3 pin plug. On pulling out the Hygena, I noticed the separate electric hob (situated on the work top above the oven) was wired directly into the back of the oven into the same slots where the mains cables were also feeding power to the oven. The mains cable goes to a consumer protection unit with a switch, above the unit and to the right of the hob. Can I simply remove the old plug and lead from the Belling and wire in the mains cable and hob as it was attached before. I am worried that I am not protecting the oven with appropriate fuses (even though it is a very similar power to the hygena) :?:

Sponsored Links
What exactly is the device above the worktop 'consumer protection device' is not that informative.. are we right in assuming you just have a standard DP cooker switch? A picture may help, have a look in forum information for how to post one

Does the cable go directly to the device above the countertop? or does it go first to a cooker outlet plate below countertop level?

What size and type is the fuse/breaker for the cooker at the distribution board?

I thought I was ok with technology but am still trying to insert the photos I took. The device above the work surface is simply a standard cooker switch with an integrated socket for a 3 pin plug (which is currently unused). The mains cable seems go go directly to this switch as I could not see a below the counter cooker outlet plate. I also got the power outputs wrong. The Belling is rated 2.06 kW and the Hygena is rated 2.05 kW. The electric hob the current Hygena oven is connected to, is rated as 5.703 kW and is also made by Hygena. Reading the instructions from the manufacturer of the Hygena say it needs to be protected by a 13amp fuse but is hard wired permanently into the mains (and not connected by a standard 3 pin plug and 13 amp fuse that the belling is currently fitted with)

I do not know the size of the fuse at the distribution board. The cooker circuit is on the RCD protected circuit (total 63A) alongside others such as the house sockets etc.

I was planning to wire up the belling the same way as the hygena as their power outputs are so similar but was concerned about the original wiring. :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back