replacing existing socket in cloakroom for LED mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am redoing cloakroom, wish to install a led mirror with possible heating and built in PIR switch. As I am installing a shower enclosure so it will be now a shower room now, There is an existing socket that was in zone 3 and now zone 2 at the right spot, will not need any moving, can i use this for LED mirror with flex out?

first can is use it?
2nd do i need add RCD spur ?
Anything else to consider?

I havent bought the mirror yet, so if not possible i will just put a blank plate on socket and leave this idea!

Sponsored Links
ALL electrical items in a shower/bathroom must now be RCD protected.

All electrical work in a shower/bathroom is notifiable.

So there's some work to do regarding LABC.

Re your existing. Lets have a photo of this existing socket please.

Sponsored Links
You will have to change the socket for a fused spur with a 3amp fuse in it.

Is the circuit already RCD protected?
Is the lighting circuit RCD protected?
Are your supplementary bonding and main earth conductors up to current requirements?

You will have to change the socket for a fused spur with a 3amp fuse in it.

Is the circuit already RCD protected?
Is the lighting circuit RCD protected?
Are your supplementary bonding and main earth conductors up to current requirements?

Not at present for the first two, for the conductor I am not sure, the house was built in 1979.

thats why i asked about RCD fused spur, can this be inside the room or has to go out?

sorry about the picture i know but thats what it is at the moment, all tiles and are ripped out, socket is at this LH corner and showe quadrant is on the opposite corner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back