Replacing expansion vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I noticed a drip from my overflow so went to check the pressure and got sprayed with water from the schrader valve, guessing the diaphragm is knackered in the expansion vessel so have ordered a direct replacement. I was wondering if this can be done without a full system drain, I know the vessel would be very heavy so would probably drill some holes in it to drain, but not entirely sure how to isolate it.

IMG_4531.jpeg

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Close tap on cold water supply to cylinder, Run a hot tap to release pressure.
Open prv valve to reduce EV pressure to zero

Crack the capnut open a turn or two on the expansion vessel but not all the way
If no water comes out the capnut, undo completely and remove vessels. You will get wet. Do not drill the EV

You could Nick the horizontal pipe run under the EV and catch the dribbles/ discharge water from the vessel. When no more dribbles, cut the pipe and empty EV into a container to allow easy removal

Ensure new vessel is one specified for hot water cylinder and not for heating

doesnt look like that vessel has and support make sure you buy a support for it something like this

Sponsored Links
Can I recommend that as it's an unvented cylinder and therefore a regulated appliance, for the safety of you and yours and to have the system setup correctly (correct pre-charge etc), I would recommend the work be performed by a qualified unvented engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back