Replacing facia on flat roof without total re-felting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Having put off painting the eaves boards on our flat roof extension for rather too long I've discovered that they are well rotten and beyond the realms of the paint brush, or easily chopping in good wood. We have a felted roof with flush eaves but there is no drip batten, the apron being flat on the fascia itself. This seems like it has worsened the problem, are drip battens old hat?!!
My question is, has anyone had any success in replacing the fascia boards (either themselves or by the trade) without having to re-lay the whole roof, as currently this seems sound.
Should we just bite the bullet and re-roof anyhow?

Cheers,
Ben

Sponsored Links
If the roof is ok but you couldn't get out of tearing the felt when you tore the wood down you could just get it re-welted so just the edges done

With a scraper you can gently manipulate the felt off the fascia but this is best done on a hot day

A properly formed drip detail is required to keep the water from the fascia and shed it into the gutter.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I've probably missed the boat for warm days, but will consider trying to free up a section perhaps. It's on the side that gets the prevailing wind, so it's taken the brunt of the rain flat against it. Was obviously repaired with filler some time ago, probably covering up old rot hence bursting through rather rapidly...

Cheers,
Ben

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back