replacing flat roof felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: Is it common practice to put new felt on top of the existing old felt, or should the old felt always be removed

Sponsored Links
Old felt should always be removed and the roof sheeting checked to see if that also needs replacing.

Andy

The done thing now is to clear the existing felt roof of stones etc, then lay insulating boards and cover with rubberized flat roof system without removing old felt. Providing that the original roof structure is sound.

Er, yeah thats the thing done by cowboys and ****** :mrgreen:

As Herts said, old felt must ALWAYS be removed and timber decking inspected :!:

Sponsored Links
Than you Herts,Spraggo and SASroofer. Your advice was very useful. The old felt is coming off and the wood panels inspected before the new felt is fitted :) :LOL:

I,m going to re felt my roof.Why is it essential to remove the old felt? Would it not be better to leave it on,creating a double seal?
Please correct me if I'm talking rubbish.

I,m going to re felt my roof.Why is it essential to remove the old felt? Would it not be better to leave it on,creating a double seal?
Please correct me if I'm talking rubbish.

Mostly because if the felt roof was leaking you'd need to inspect the decking under the felt to check if its rotten.

No point in re-felting over old rotten decking/timber joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back