replacing flat roof on garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys,
my flat roof on my garage is leaking in a cple of places and i am thinking about trying to replace it myself. i am resonably handy but have never done a roof before can anyone give me any tips on how to go about it. not too sure about using a blowtorch so if there are any products out there that dont require that sort of heat i'd be interested, also is it necessary to do the whole roof or can i try to repair the places that are leaking. it seems to be leaking right in the corner of the roof where the roof covering (not sure what it is) goes from horizontal to vertical( up the parapet wall) it seems to have torn .
any help gratefully received
regards
bill osborne

Sponsored Links
First of all Bill get up from underneath and see how bad or if the plywood ( if you are Lucky ) or OSB Board or Chipwood Board ( if you are unlucky ) has been damaged by the leaks, then you will know how big a job it is or just a patching job

Probably difficult to patch it - if it is your own garage (i.e. not rented) and you don't plan on moving,I would replace the lot.
As previously mentioned,wet chipboard is probably ruined,wet plywood you may be able to dry out and re-use.
Have a browse through this forum (roofing) as there is a lot of good info on it.
And Wickes do a roofing felt system that can be done without blowtorching (or it can be nailed down with galvanised clout nails - but I still prefer rooves to have some slope on them and let gravity help :D )

Sponsored Links
blow torching method would be more suitable. Depending on how long you intend it too last, there are various types from polyester based felt to glass wool based (not as strong). Contact a roofing company say callenders been around for century's. They can provide you with a system, then contact a local supplier for prices.

If you dont have a fall on your roof and would like one, there are tapered insulation boards that can create a fall for a flat roof. (Getting into harder task now i would say)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back