Replacing floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like I might need to replace some first floor floorboards. They are currently 18mm x 98mm tongue and groove from 1970’s. What should I replace them with? I’d like to avoid creaks (I guess screwing into joists rather than the current nails sorts this) and I’d like them to feel more sturdy under foot than what is currently there.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Brilliant! This is better than using sheets like they do in new builds?
E.g. Nicer to have wood floor board under the carpet than chipboard?

Sheets are notorious for squeaking even when screwed. A general rule of engineering is: the bigger the object, the less 'give' it has.* Small boards can flex which intuitively might make you think they should sqeak, but since their neighbours can also flex in sympathy, you actually get less chance of squeak than when one big sheet happens to move against another sheet that cannot move.

*Useful to remember when tiling, too. Roman mosaics last two thousand years intact, while large slabs or tiles are more likely to crack.

Sponsored Links
That's awesome! Thanks for that useful lesson and brilliant tip. Really appreciate it.
When asking for a quote for them, do I give room dimensions or do I need to work out the total material length myself and let them know this length to quote for?

My local timber yard will ask for the total length of boards, but maybe others will work it out for you from the area I don't know.
BTW the width of the boards NOT including the tongue is called the 'cover', so they might ask you if you want boards with 4 1/2 inch cover, or whatever.

you also need to work out the coverage a board will be ex say 5x1" you will loose about 6mm from the planing now 21x118mm the tongue will remove another 7mm or so around 111mm 6x1 will be around 21x136mm

Got you, thanks. So the cover of this material will be more like 21x136mm. So take this (finished/planed) "cover" dimension into consideration when measuring up?

yes room width say 3300mm divided by 136=25planks width
room length say 4m x25= 100 metres plus about 7% spare about 107metres

Take the width of the room, divide it by the cover (e.g. 4.5 inch) and you know how many rows you need. Multiply that by the length of the room and you know the total length of boarding, ignoring safety margin.

Looks like some places advertise the total width of boards including the tongue, so don't get caught out, e.g. I think these are 4.5 inch cover boards but are being advertised as 4.75 inch width. https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-PTG-Floorboards-18-x-119-x-2400mm-Pack-5/p/120832
(I bloody hate how building materials are specified so crappily. I'm used to working in electronics where everything down to the tiniest resistor comes with datasheets and precise dimensioned drawings. On a builders merchants website you're lucky if it says anything more than "piece of longish wood for sale".

Last edited:
125 is 5" ask them what the coverage is it will be the 12-14mm less as i say

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back