replacing gas meter box

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a surface mounted gas meter box on the front of the house which is now looking a bit sorry for itself ie discoloured.

Given its the gas meter which isnt my property and i wouldn't ever of think of messing about with gas, can i replace the meter box with a new one? Firstly is it possible to swap a box over without interferring with the meter and am i allowed to do it?

Sponsored Links
AFAICT, the installers wash their hands of these cabinets once fitted. THey become the householders responsibility.

If it's a standard GRP one, the main box part is separate to the bit attached to the wall.

You should, assuming the box is the same design, be able to replace the housing part while leaving the back plate and meter undisturbed.

http://www.gasequipmentdirect.co.uk/store/product/MISC0002.aspx

Sponsored Links
Unless the box is actually damaged, painting it with masonry paint or other paint will be far easier, quicker and cheaper than a new box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back